Missing resource keys in 2020.1 release

WPF Studio, Themes, and Shared Library for WPF Forum

Posted 4 years ago by Dirk Zellerfeld
Version: 20.1.0
Platform: .NET 3.0 (Core)
Environment: Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've tried to upgrade one of our application to the new 2020.1 release to see how it performs. But we fail to compile the app because the following resource keys no longer exist. And sadly they are not mentioned in the "upgrade to 2020.1" documentation so we don't know the replacements.

WindowTitleBarButtonAlternateBackgroundActiveHoverBrushKey
WindowTitleBarButtonAlternateBorderActiveHoverBrushKey
WindowTitleBarButtonAlternateBackgroundActivePressedBrushKey
WindowTitleBarButtonAlternateBorderActivePressedBrushKey
WindowTitleBarButtonAlternateForegroundActiveHoverBrushKey
AccentForegroundActiveNormalBrushKey
ApplicationButtonForegroundNormalBrushKey

Comments (5)

Answer - Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Dirk,

The "Complete Update Details" section in the "Converting to 2020.1" documentation topic has a sub-section where AssetResourceKeys changes are detailed.  Note that in some cases where multiple brushes were changed, we used an asterisk.  But all the resource keys in that list are alphabetized so they can be found easily.

These are the notes in that topic that relate to the keys you listed:

• Accent*BrushKey properties removed and replaced with more comprehensive PrimaryAccent* properties.
  • ApplicationButton*BrushKey properties removed since the Ribbon application button is now themed the same as Ribbon tabs.
  • WindowTitleBarButtonAlternate*BrushKey properties renamed to CloseWindowTitleBarButton*BrushKey to better clarify their purpose.

The new Theme Designer app has a Resource Browser tab you can use to view all the resources such as brushes that are generated as part of the theme.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks, I searched for them via CTRL+F and thats why I haven't found them. In the designer app it would be great to double click on a resource to copy its short key to clipboad (or via context menu). So double click on:

ListBackgroundNormalBrushKey

copies "ListBackgroundNormalBrushKey" into clipboard. Currently the only way is to use the button at the bottom but this copies the full source into clipboard:

{DynamicResource {x:Static themes:AssetResourceKeys.ListBackgroundNormalBrushKey}}

And in the resource browser it would be nice to change the color of a resource via double click into the color field so we can modify it on the fly and immediately see the results. Because the theme definition at the right affects much more and this isn't always required when we try out new things.

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Dirk,

You can also press Ctrl+C when on an item in the Resource Browser to copy the DynamicResource to the clipboard.  As for copying the name, may I ask in what scenario that kind of thing is helpful instead of the DynamicResource?

For the other suggestion, it sounds like you are asking for a way to override a generated resource value with your own custom value and see the result within the app?

Actipro Software Support

In my scenario I need to change only the resource name but not the full dynamicresource path. And otherwise I tend to duplicate a line and then change the resource name only which I find is a lot faster than selecting the full dynamicresource path (because resource name only can be selected by a double click).

Yes, changing the brush / color within the theme app for a specific resource and see the result within the theme app immediately.

I've noticed (and read) the menu sizes have changed. This is a big problem for us because now only the menu (and we got a lot of menu controls in our application!) are really too big comparing to all the other controls. Is there a fast & easy way to revert back to the old size of menu items?

I've also noticed you did some color changes on native controls? For example the list/grid have a much darker background now. This is something else we would need to fix because it now doesn't match with the rest. So far I see a lot of work on our end if we want to upgrade to 2020 and most of the work is only to keep the 2019 theme. The work will be hard to justify when speaking to our business manager.

[Modified 4 years ago]

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Dirk,

We will add the context menu in the next maintenance release.

I'll write down the feature request for a way to specify resource overrides in a theme definition.

Can you write our support address and send some before/after screenshots of what you are seeing so that we can help you resolve the differences to get it looking how you need?  Also let us know which theme you are using and whether the menu items you mentioned are native ones or ribbon menus.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.