Very slow loading times for the DLL

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 4 years ago by Eli Gazit
Version: 20.1.0
Platform: .NET 3.0
Environment: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a very slow startup time for an application that uses Actipro WPF controls.

after deep investigation I have discovered that the time it take for the first Actipro control is very slow, as you can see in this log (30 seconds!)

15:02:41.906 Information Loading Assembly: Loader__ActiproSoftware_Windows_Controls_Ribbon_Controls
  15:03:11.185 Information Loading Assembly: Loader__ActiproSoftware_Windows_Controls_Ribbon_Controls Done
  15:03:11.188 Information Loading Assembly: Loader__ActiproSoftware_Windows_Controls
 15:03:11.312 Information Loading Assembly: Loader__ActiproSoftware_Windows_Controls Done

This issue only occured in my customer enviroment which is very secured in terms of network, so I suspect the license phase or any other init is trying to access the network thus causing the initialize step to be very slow.

the version I'm using is: 9.1.507

Please advise how this can be solved.

Comments (4)

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Eli,

I'm sorry you're having trouble.  We have not heard of assembly loading taking excessive time like that other than if you use code-signed variants of the assemblies.  Are you using the code-signed variants or the regular ones? 

If you use the code-signed variants, we have heard that people on machines without network access sometimes can take a while for an assembly to load while .NET tries to verify it.  This was due to some behavior deep in core .NET and had nothing to do with our software's code.  The last report we had of that was many years ago though so I'm not sure if Microsoft fixed the issue since then or not.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 4 years ago by Eli Gazit

Hi,

yes, my DLLs are rather old - version 9.1.507.0 from 2009. 

not sure what you mean by 'code-signed variants', how can I identify this if my DLL is using this version?

I have the installation and I'm using the DLL from the GAC.

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

If you look at the Ribbon assembly you distribute in Windows Explorer and right click and choose to show the Properties dialog, the code-signed variant would have a "Digital Signatures" tab whereas the normal variant will not.  The code-signed variants of assemblies with Digital Signatures are the only ones we've ever heard of being slow to load in the past when a network was not available.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 3 years ago by Eli Gazit

Hi,

Yes it seems that I'm using the 'digital signatures' files as you described them.

I will try to replace them with the other types and see if it helps the loading time.

I'll let you know, thanks for great support!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.