WPF Controls Install

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 2 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC

Not sure which forum to post this in as it's a a general request that applies to all the WPF products so I'm just picked this one.  I do not develop with an administrator account on my PC.  My account is a regular user account. When I install WPF Controls, I have to provide an admin account.  No problem.  But the install puts all the Start menu items and samples in the admin account's folders forcing me to go and manually move everything over to my user account's folder.  Can you instead put the start menu items and samples in either the Public user folders or in the launching user's folders?  It's a small thing, but would make installing an upgrade much less complicated.  Thanks!

Comments (6)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Rick,

Just so we can clarify the scenario...

1) Do you mean you have to log out of your user account and log in to Windows as the administrator account and then run the installer?

or

2) Do you mean you are still logged into Windows as your user account and you get an elevated access prompt during install where you enter administrator account credentials and the install continues?

Actipro Software Support

I usually initiate the install from my user account and then provide the admin credentials when prompted. But I sometimes do the upgrade when logged on as an admin.  

Hi Rick,

To confirm, you are saying that if you are logged in as your normal user, and you run the installer with elevated admin privileges (via an admin user's credentials that you enter), then certain installed portions end up in areas only accessible by the admin user?

Can you take a look and see exactly which of these things end up NOT being accessible to the normal user when installing like in the previous paragraph?  Note that you probably want to uninstall and ensure these registry keys and folders are clear before testing.

• Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Actipro Software\WPF Controls\[Version]
  • Folder: [ProgramFilesFolder]\Actipro Software\WPF-Controls\[Version]
  • Folder: [UserDocumentsFolder]\Actipro Software\WPF-Controls\[Version]
  • Programs menu shortcuts:  [ProgramMenuFolder]\Actipro WPF Controls [Version]

Please tell us what happens with each of the above, thanks.

Actipro Software Support

Yes, that's correct.  Only the admin user account that was used to acquire elevated privileges for the installation can access the Start Menu items and sample projects.

I uninstalled WPF controls and ensured all traces of it were removed from the system.  Then I reinstalled as a regular user.  Launching the setup.exe immediately prompted for admin credentials.  After the installation completed, here's the state of the items you listed:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Actipro Software\WPF Controls\22.1 is found and populated
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Actipro Software\WPF-Controls\v22.1.2 is available to all users
- [UserDocumentsFolder]\Actipro Software\WPF-Controls\v22.1.2 is found where [UserDocumentsFolder] is C:\Users\<admin user>\Documents
- [ProgramMenuFolder]\Actipro WPF Controls [Version] is found where [ProgramMenuFolder] is C:\Users\<admin user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Hi Rick,

Ok we were able to update it to work for all users.  Can you write our support address and mention this thread, and we'll send you a preview build to test with?

Actipro Software Support

The preview build installed perfectly.  It's exactly what I was hoping for.  Thank you.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.