ActiproSoftware.Shared.Wpf Unable to load DLL 'Shcore.dll' Error

WPF Studio, Themes, and Shared Library for WPF Forum

Posted 2 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC
Version: 22.1.3
Platform: .NET 4.7
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

One of my customers running Windows 7 just installed my latest release which uses v2022.1.3.  He's getting the following error:

10/18/2022 13:54:17|Error|ActiproSoftware.Shared.Wpf|Unable to load DLL 'Shcore.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

I've spun up one of my old Win 7 machines, installed my latest release and get the same error.

Does this version of WPF Studio not support running on Windows 7?  If not, is there any kind of work-around that can get him up and running short of upgrading to Win 10 or 11?

Thanks...

Rick Brown

Comments (6)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Rick,

It looks like we have some Win32 API calls in recent builds that use that DLL file, and that API is not supported on Windows 7.  Unfortunately the latest versions will not run on Windows 7 any more.  Windows 7 went end of life officially about 3 years ago.

You could try using some older Actipro versions if you need to get something out to the customer that works on Windows 7.  But really at this point, per Microsoft, everyone should be off Windows 7.

Actipro Software Support

v2022.1.2 worked with Win 7.  This is why I was suprised that v2022.1.3 doesn't.  But yeah, I know Win 7 is dead and so does my customer, but a good OS can be hard to say farewell to.

[Modified 2 years ago]

Hi Rick,

Stay tuned, we are going to add an environment check before calling this API in Shared to make sure it doesn't blow up on older operating systems.  Will reply back shortly.

Actipro Software Support

Hi Rick,

If you go on nuget.org, download the v22.1.4-beta.4 version, which is a new preview build with the change to check that we're on Windows 8.1 or later before making the API call.  Please let us know if that resolves the issue on Windows 7.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks you!  So far, this looks very good, though I'm still testing.  Do you have a release ETA for 2022.1.4?

Not yet but feel free to use this in the meantime.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.