Menu Item Access Key support for other languages?

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 1 year ago by Earl Medina
Version: 22.1.3

Hello, I am wondering if Menu Item Access Key support other languages/keyboard layouts that include non-Latin characters. Using French as an example, in testing of ContextMenu MenuItem Access keys I noted that if the KeyTipAccessText value is set to a non-Latin character (e.g. the French éèçàù) the shortcut is not honored. All Latin characters on the French keyboard, however, work as expected.

Is there a way to work around this problem?

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 1 year ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

With how the Ribbon's current KeyTipService is structured, it's looking at Key values that are pressed and not composed text from the system.  That is something we've wanted to refactor for a while.

We are currently working on a new Ribbon implementation that's much better designed than the current one, is geared around MVVM usage, has the latest Office styles, uses more subtle animations, etc.  We've rewritten the KeyTipService logic in that version to be based on text composition for matching key tips.  Therefore if you can type accented characters like that from the keyboard without using the Alt key (which will close key tips), the new version should be able to support them.  Keep an eye on our blog for news in the coming weeks on the newer Ribbon we're building.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 1 year ago by Earl Medina

Thank you so much for the information. This was exactly what I needed. Looking forward to more news!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.