ParameterInfo popup moves while typing

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 1 year ago by Arthur Haag
Version: 22.1.4

Hello,

I am just evaluating the SyntaxEditor for our company and I noticed that the ParameterInfo popup is moving some pixels left and right while entering/removing whitespaces, which gives the impression of flickering. The popup also closes and reopens at the same location when the context of the next parameter is entered by pressing ',' but not when the ',' is removed. Is this a known issue?

I have a second question: Is it possible to generate dummy view lines without underlying document lines? We have a side by side text compare feature in our IDE, and we want to insert some extra vertical space between lines to align matching lines near to each other, like it is done in diff tools. Intra line adornments seem not to be the right mechanism, as they should have a small height. 

Best regards,

Arthur

[Modified 1 year ago]

Comments (3)

Posted 1 year ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for evaluating SyntaxEditor.

1a) For the slight nudge in the parameter info popup while typing, we have resolved that for the upcoming maintenance release.

1b) For the flicker when typing a comma, that is because it's creating a new parameter info session when the comma is typed.  It does this so that all the resolver logic can run again and select a possible better overload that has more matching parameters.  This is useful for scenarios where you start typing and it shows an overload that has a single parameter, then you type a comma, and it will run the resolver to select another overload for display that matches what is newly typed.

2) While you can't generate dummy view lines, we do show the use of intra-line adornments in our Compare Files QuickStart to mimic a diff viewer scenario.  Please check that out and see if that would meet your needs.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 1 year ago by Arthur Haag

Hello,

thank you for the answers.

1) The resolver logic could run without closing the popup and the view could display the better match, if available. This is the same like for completion popups. You type, a better match is selected / things are filtered, but the popup stays open. Maybe our testers would not complain, but if they would, I could not resolve this, without implementing an own popup for parameter infos. We are currently AvalonEdit based and I have done this in the past.

2) I will look into this sample. Otherwise I think we could modify document content in memory to align the lines and use a line number provider to skip the dummy line numbering in the view, while also applying tags to the dummy lines to style these lines differently.

Btw. I have also seen the minor movement of the completions popup while typing in the "Completion Match Options" sample. Maybe this can be fixed too.

[Modified 1 year ago]

Answer - Posted 1 year ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Arthur,

1) Running the resolver again is something that we looked into yesterday a bit.  We were able to spend time refactoring and enhancing code today to get that working so that a new resolver run could auto-select a better existing option when comma is typed.  This will be in the next maintenance release.

2) Modifying the displayed document in memory could work if you are only using the editor in a read-only way.  Otherwise, if you need more live editing, doing things like our sample would be better.

3) For the minor movement, all code for that in all IntelliPrompt popups is run through one place in the new logic we implemented yesterday.  The reason there is a slight nudge is that without changing some popup placement property value, a call to try an reinvoke the core WPF popup placement logic wouldn't do anything.  To get that functional for when devs call our RepositionAll method, we have to nudge the HorizontalOffset of the popup.  Before, we were doing it by 1px forward and back.  But that seemed to cause the minor movement as you saw, at least in newer versions.  We were able to nudge by a much smaller amount that shouldn't reflect any differently in UI while still allowing the WPF popup placement logic to re-execute.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 4 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.