Can I expect performance improvement by upgrading the product version or switching to WinForms one?

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 11 months ago by Seito Shirata
Version: 23.1.0

Hello.

We are currently using WPF Controls 2018.1 in our product, and now considering switching to the latest version WPF Controls in our next product.
Is there performance improvements with the DockingWindow and SyntaxEditor features and so on?

With WPF Controls 2018.1, we are getting the impression that scrolling is sluggish when displaying several thousand lines of code in the DockingWindow (This may be due to the SyntaxEditor rather than the DockingWindow).

We are also considering switching to the latest Winforms version as an alternative.
I would like to know as much information as you know about performance; the older version WPF vs the latest version WPF, and the latest WPF and WinForms.

Comments (2)

Posted 11 months ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

If you are seeing some performance issues related to scrolling, then that could be a number of things but we would need to collect more information from you related to how you are using the SyntaxEditor product to help zero in on what it could be.  I don't not think that the editor being in a docking window would make any difference.  As a test, I was able to open a 10MB C# file just now in a SyntaxEditor in a docking window and was scrolling around it very quickly.

We would be happy to help you sort out what could be causing it, but that is better done privately offline.  Please email our support address and mention this thread.  Then tell us more about your app, such as what UI platform you are using (WPF or WinForms), what syntax language (one of our premium add-on languages, a custom syntax language, etc.) you are using in SyntaxEditor, and describe the sluggishness you are seeing (exactly what you are doing when you see it).

While there are improvements made all the time to our products, without knowing more about this particular scenario and determining the cause, it's tough to say if any recent updates would make a difference.  You can always try our evaluation of the latest version to see if it helps, but I suspect there is some configuration here that could be better optimized instead.

If your app is a WPF app, I would not recommend using WinForms controls in it.  It's better to stay completely WPF native unless you can't avoid it.  The WPF SyntaxEditor and the WinForms SyntaxEditor now share a codebase, so performance will be about the same in both in their respective codebases.  If your app is WPF though, you'll want to stay with the WPF SyntaxEditor.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 months ago by Seito Shirata

Thank you very much.

After hearing in my department, it appears that there are other causes of the slow scrolling.
There seems to be a problem with the rendering speed of our Control.

We have also done some benchmarking and we believe that your product is good in terms of performance,
so we decided to adopt the latest version of WPF Controls.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.