Provide an Upgrade Wizard that automatically upgrades Visual Studio Projects

WPF Studio, Themes, and Shared Library for WPF Forum

Posted 1 month ago by Bill L

Hey,

Have you guys considered providing an upgrade wizard accessible from within VS that automatically scans all projects and upgrades their referenced assemblies to the latest installed versions.

Competitors such as Telerik already do this.  After scanning the VS projects in the solution it provides the options to upgrade to versions that have been installed on the system.  Saves a ton of time for those such as myself that have many projects to manually upgrade one-by-one.

Just a thought

Best regards,

Bill Leibold

Comments (6)

Posted 1 month ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the suggestion.  We have considered that in the past, however that concept is somewhat obsoleted now since we have moved onto NuGet packages for distribution of our UI control products.  Our NuGet packages support classic .NET Framework through to the latest newer .NET versions, and there is built-in support in Visual Studio that makes it easy to upgrade projects to any available version you like.  That is the recommended way to manage versions moving forward.  Please see our product documentation for more information on the NuGet packages that are available.  They really are a time saver!

Actipro Software Support

Ok, let me research those.

Hey,

So the first project I look at converting to Nuget has an issue...

Where are Nuget packages for some of the 'text' references below?

ActiproSoftware.Text.Addons.DotNet.Wpf

ActiproSoftware.Text.Addons.Xml.Wpf

ActiproSoftware.Text.LLParser.Wpf

ActiproSoftware.Text.Wpf

Am I missing something or is this a mixed bag where some Nugets are available and then other references have to be maintained by hand?

Hey,

I figured out where the missing refs ended up.

Best regards,

Bill

Posted 1 month ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Bill,

The SyntaxEditor-named NuGet packages include both the SyntaxEditor assembly and related Text assembly.  So for instance, the .NET Languages Add-on's NuGet package (ActiproSoftware.Controls.WPF.SyntaxEditor.Addons.DotNet) has ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.Addons.DotNet.Wpf.dll and ActiproSoftware.Text.Addons.DotNet.Wpf.dll in it.

Your company has licensed WPF Studio and the SyntaxEditor .NET and Web add-ons.  The simplest way to use NuGet packages for that would be to reference:

• ActiproSoftware.Controls.WPF (has all the controls in WPF Studio... or if you want to pick and choose which control products to include, reference individual packages like ActiproSoftware.Controls.WPF.Bars instead)
  • ActiproSoftware.Controls.WPF.SyntaxEditor.Addons.DotNet (.NET Languages Add-on)
  • ActiproSoftware.Controls.WPF.SyntaxEditor.Addons.JavaScript (JavaScript language in Web Languages Add-on)
  • ActiproSoftware.Controls.WPF.SyntaxEditor.Addons.XML (XML language in Web Languages Add-on)

I know you already got things working, but I hope that helps explain it a little better.

Actipro Software Support

Hey,

Thanks for the info.  In hindsight I should have included the full WPF Studio as we wil have to migrate to Bars this next quarter and that is really the only reference assembly we currently don't use.

Thanks again!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 4 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.