Environmental.NewLine and TextRanges

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Erik Pepping - RADVenture B.V
Version: 4.0.0260
Environmental.NewLine and TextRanges

In my project i have a class that uses System.String and StringBuilder for document creation. This class also keeps a small list of indexes to identify location of certain tokens.The indexes are calculated using string.IndexOf

What I've noticed is that in ActiPro document, a new Line uses 1 char position
instead of 2 chars (\n\r) which a string with Environmental.NewLine uses.

When I try to locate the caret offset using my original TextRanges,
then it places the caret in a different position than expected.

Note: My workaround was to adapt my classes to start counting how many NewLines
and have a separate TextRange where the newlines are substracted.
I would like to remove this extra calculation in the future , therefore the question.

Is there any way to configure the editor/document to "use" 2 chars so i can use the "same" TextRanges?

Comments (3)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Sorry but no, SyntaxEditor uses a single line feed internally for denoting line terminators. This is to make parsing much faster since otherwise, we would have to potentially be checking for 1 or 2 characters, and either carriage return/line feed all over the place. Basically it would make parsing much more difficult and time consuming in a number of areas.

Properties like Document.Text give back the normal \r\n line ends though and Document.GetText allows you to get a different version of the line ends.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Erik Pepping - RADVenture B.V
It's OK, I've asked just in case the behavior was already there and i was missing it.

Maybe it's a good tip to add this info to the Documentation since it took me some hours until i found out that the NewLines where the reason for my "offset" difference..

Thanks for the quick reply.
Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Good idea, perhaps we could add something in the Getting Started topic that explains this.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.