Posted 17 years ago by Leif Zars
Version: 4.0.0260
From what i can tell the IntelliPrompt doesn't merge partial classes for a complete list.
is this true?
will this be implemented?

Thanks Leif

Comments (5)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Leif,

It should be merging partial classes however right now there is a known issue that it will not merge if the partial class definitions are in the same file. If they are in separate files then it should be working.

Actipro Software Support

I believe found the issue.

In VS you can do the following.
Public Class A
Partial Class A

I think right now you are expecting.
Partial Class B
Partial Class B

It doesn't matter to me i would assume following VS lead would be best.
But now i can get around the issue

Thanks
Leif
Hi Leif,

I think then that VS may be incorrectly handling that keyword because per the C# spec on the partial keyword:
Quote:
Using the partial keyword indicates that other parts of the class, struct, or interface can be defined within the namespace. All the parts must use the partial keyword. All of the parts must be available at compile time to form the final type. All the parts must have the same accessibility, such as public, private, and so on.

Note that it says all parts must have the partial keyword.

Actipro Software Support

Ya i c what u r say n, i agree with that documentation. so i guess VS has it implemented poorly because all you have to do is include a form in to a VB project and you will see that the form1.vb file says public class and form1.designer.vb says public partial.

Thanks
Leif
My guess is that VS has some special handling for this since they want to ensure the designer code is merged with the other code. But from the language perspective I don't think it's technically allowed.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.