How do you set an tool window invisible?

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Charles W. Hooks
Version: 2.0.94
I am familar with the hide functionality, however I am after something different.

The applciation I am workign on allows the users to design different objects. I provide them lots of tool windows which user arrange to their liking. 90% of the objects beign design use all of the tool windows, 10% do not. One of the tool windows that is not being used is 99% of the time a floating window displayed on the second monitor. When in the 10% case, I'd like that window to be invisible, you can't see it or even it's tabbed name (like when you hide it). I have tried hiding it for certian objects and automatically revealing it for other objects. However, this basically overrides the user setting of whether the tool window is hidden or not in the 90% case, causing users to file bug reports that my app is not properly saving state... So it would really be nice if I could just set the tool window to invisible for the minority case and visible for the majority case, thus preserving all the wacky docking placement states users have.

Comments (3)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Charles,

Unfortunately I'm not sure what we could do for this. You probably need to keep some sort of flag on your end that tracks whether the tool window should be visible or not and if it isn't in the correct state when you go to save the layout, toggle it before saving the layout.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Charles W. Hooks
No plans to implement the Visible property, eh?

Ultimately, that is what I really need. :(
Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Well in a sense, the visible property is already there (Active) and you have control over that.

What about this, make two layouts, one for your 90% case and one for your 10% case? This is how VS does it with normal mode and run-time mode, where different tool windows are displayed in each case.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.