Semantic Parsing Hang

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Bryan Files
Version: 4.0.0260
We're using the SyntaxEditor Parser Generator for a custom language. I've got a problem where every great once in while, semantic parsing stops happening for users until they restart the editor. I've been unable to duplicate it where I can use the debugger, but I suspect the parsing is getting in an infinite loop tying up the parser service. At this point, I don't know if it's something I'm doing or a bug on the Actipro side. Anyone else see this?

Comments (3)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Bryan,

Any time we've had that happen here (and it has happened to us during development of our add-ons a couple of times), it's always been our fault in how we coded the semantic grammar. As in we would introduce an infinite loop. The best way to track it down is to repro it and while in VS, break into the debugger, go to the Threads tool window, double-click on the SemanticParserService one, see where the execution is and step through it to see where the loop is occurring. Whenever we've debugged it that way we were able to find and fix the issue very fast.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Matt Adamson
Hi Bryan,

If this isn't feasible you could ask you your users to take a hang dump when the issue next occurs and support could analyse it.

See my article which covers how to do this, note if it's a NET process you'd need to create a full dump

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/07/Debugging/
Posted 16 years ago by Bryan Files
Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I've found this one, but if another one comes up, I may use that.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.