ConvertTabsToSpaces bug

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 20 years ago by bnott
I have this property set to 'true'.

It works perfectly when simply placing the the caret and pressing tab. The proper number of spaces to advance the caret to the next tab stop are inserted.

However, it works poorly if you select a whole line (or lines, more importantly) and press tab. In this case, it seems to behave as if the caret is positioned at the beginning of the line, and however many space are in a tab are just inserted. How this should work (and how VS.NET works) is for the the control to behave as if the caret was positioned before the first non-whitespace character in each individual line. This way, if multiple lines have first characters that are staggerered between two tab-stops (and not necessarily aligned with each other) you can simply sweep the margin with your mouse to select all lines, and hit tab. Currently doing this keeps them all unaligned, just indented farther.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Thanks for the suggestion... we'll add it to the TODO list.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 20 years ago by bnott
I like the IndentionGuides (a lot actually) but I also much prefer ConvertTabsToSpaces. How about if IndentionGuids could be set to display at every tabstop, spaces or not, up until the first non-whitespace character of a line?
Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Good suggestion.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
The next maintenance release now has code that intelligently lines up the first non-whitespace characters in each line to its appropriate tabstop when doing a multi-line indent.

It also will now draw indentation guides for space indented text.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.