VS2008 showing no Wizard control

Wizard for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Clint StLaurent
Version: 3.0.0134
I am trialing Wizard, in a C# Windows Forms application. Like many other people I was running Visual Studio 2005 and updated to 2008 when it arrived on my MSDN subscription discs.

The sample project runs fine, so I conclude that the installation went well. However I can find no "Wizard Control" in the forms toolbox. Everything I read states how Wizard is like any other control. The Help for getting started states:

The first step in making a wizard is to create a Form for the wizard. Set the appropriate properties of the Form, such as FormBorderStyle and Text.

Place a Wizard control on the Form. Set its Dock property to Fill.

Makes it sounds like a control I should be able to drag-n-drop. But It doesn't exist. Is this because I am test driving the trial version? Is it an incompatibility with Visual Studio 2008? Could Wizard be looking at my old VS2005 registry entries and installing itself with wrong references?

Comments (3)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Clint,

It does sound like you installed correctly but our installer for the WinForms controls doesn't automatically install them into the VS toolbox yet. If you go to customize the VS toolbox, you can add the items from there by browsing to the Wizard assembly in the program files folder. Check out the readme file for details on this and email over if you need any more assistance. Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Clint StLaurent
Just to let anyone else know the 'trick' that made this work...

I had a similar thought before your message arrived.

I tried this…

Tools | Choose Toolbox items… |
Found the Wizard in the list of .NET framework Components tab and ticked the checkbox ‘on’. Restarted Visual Studio. It still didn’t appear.

Then I tried it your way by browsing to it:
Tools | Choose Toolbox items… |
[Browse…] C:\Program Files\Actipro Software\WindowsForms\Wizard\v3.0.0134
Restarted Visual Studio 2008
Still no control in the Tool box for “Wizard”

Oh wait… No control for Wizard until “All Windows Forms” where I expected this to be.. Nor under “Components”… Nor under “Dialogs”… All the places I would expect this to show up. Not until I opened each and every subgroup of controls in the Toolbox did I find it as the very last control of the very last subgroup. It appeared under “Visual Basic PowerPacks”. Not being a Visual Basic programmer it just never occurred to me to look there.

Thanks for the amazingly fast reply email, especially at this hour (2320hrs in Brisbane)
Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Clint,

Thanks for the update. Yes, Visual Studio will generally insert the checked items on whatever group was selected in the toolbox. I would think it would have gone in under a different one by default if you hadn't changed the selected toolbox group to VS PowerPacks though. Anyhow, glad you are up and running now!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.