WPF Docking controls

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Tomas Bouda
Version: 3.0.0410
Hello,

I'd like to ask, if you plan to create UIStudio for WPF, as well.

I have spend over year of development of docking controls for WPF (like VS2008), but I have no desire to spend another year of developing Ribbon. That's why I'm thinking of purchasing Actipro Ribbon. However, my components are visually different from Ribbon's.

Will there be a release in short time of UIStudio for WPF?
Or is it possible to easily use Ribbon's colors for controls inside my components?

Thank you,
Tomas

Comments (5)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Tomas,

Yes, now that we have achieved 100% implementation of the Microsoft Ribbon UI Guidelines, we have moved onto developing other new WPF products, namely those that you find in UIStudio. I don't have a timeframe for you at this time, some things are further along than others. But it is our main priority to work on some UIStudio-like controls for WPF now. We expect to get one portion of it out in the coming weeks.

Also yes, you can reuse any of Ribbon's colors or brushes in your application. Both the color table and brushes are available to you. Check out the documentation since we've included information on reusing both of these.

Since we're still early in development on some of these work-in-progress controls, if you have any specific features that you've added in your own dock controls that you are looking for in our, please don't hesitate to email us. We'd love to discuss requirements with you.

Actipro Software Support

Hello,

thank you for your answer!

The reasons for I have developed my studio, were some special features:

1) the possibility of catching focus inside a tool window or document, even if the control inside is not focusable - this is a strong need, because most of my controls can't have focus, but I need to be informed of the last "active" component for acting along this

2.1) possibility to have several studios within one Window - that's because I have several workspaces cooperating over the same data, e.g. each of studios is inside Selector and I wish to switch between Selector Items - switching to another Selector's item must hide all floating windows and show the floating windows for the next studio

2.2) possibility to have several studios within one Window - that's because a single type of workspace over different data - image you want to show a data about product in document window having additional infos in tool windows, and than you wish to compare 2, 4 or 6 products at once

3) a better customization than most products offer - e.g. document must remain docked all the time and I wish to allow just a single document-tab-control within a studio (i.e. not splitbar between documents)

4) avoiding of bugs related to WPF - e.g. well-known problem with lost keyboard focus (control having keyboard focus is removed, and than you can't activate another window)

5) cleverer behaviour of docking/undocking after double-clicks - all products I have evaluated (including VS2005) can be easily put into state, where double-click causes unpredictable action

If some of my points are not clear, please, let me know.
I'm really looking forward for your Studio, I would definitely save my time and money.

Tomas
Thanks Tomas, maybe you could email us some screenshots of your controls too. I'd love to see how yours work, especially in terms of #2 above.

Actipro Software Support

Sure, could you provide an email, please?
I'll prepare a small example.

Thank you,
Tomas
Our support email address is fine.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.