Unable to get add-ons features to work

SyntaxEditor .NET Languages Add-on for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Stephen Curle
I've created a very simple project to test the new add-ons features but can't get most of them to work. In particular the member list doesn't appear when '.' is pressed after a variable name, there is no automatic outlining and there are some members missing from the member list that appears after ' as ' (a simple example being no inclusion of ArrayList after typing '... As System.Collections.'). For info here is the code I've written in the load event of my form -

SemanticParserService.Start()
editor.Document.SemanticParsingEnabled = True
editor.Document.Language = New ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.Addons.VB.VBSyntaxLanguage
editor.Document.LanguageData = dotNetProjectResolver
editor.Document.Filename = "Hello"
editor.Document.AutoCaseCorrectEnabled = True
dotNetProjectResolver.CachePath = IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(Application.ExecutablePath) + "\Cache\"
dotNetProjectResolver.AddExternalReferenceForSystemAssembly("System")
dotNetProjectResolver.AddExternalReferenceForSystemAssembly("System.Collections")
editor.Document.Outlining.Mode = ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.OutliningMode.Automatic

Any ideas as to what what is missing or what I'm doing wrong ?

Comments (9)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
The "Key Steps for Getting Started" topic in the docs says to set the dotNetProjectResolver cache path right after starting the service. I'd move those 3 dotNetProjectResolver lines under SemanticParserService.Start() and see if that helps.

Actipro Software Support

Moved lines as suggested and it makes no difference. Can you confirm that if I type

Dim i As Object

I should expect to see a member list if I then type 'i.' For info. all my project consists of is a form with the SyntaxEditor control on it and I am typing text into the control. Is there a property that needs to be set for intellisense work ?
Yes you should see a member list then as long as your statement is inside of a member. If you have a blank document with the Dim statement it won't show anything since in that case, you are typing up at a global level and not at a statement-inside-a-member level.

If you still have trouble after looking at that, email us with a simple project that shows it happening and we can take a look.

Actipro Software Support

I sent an e-mail to your customer support (with attached VB.NET project) almost 2 months ago and still haven't had a reply. Can someone please arrange for a response to this problem. Thanks.
Hi Stephan,

We always provide prompt responses. Perhaps your sample project was spam filtered and we never got it or our reply was spam filtered on your end?

I don't show our support email as having received anything from you though when I look. Maybe send it again and reply to this forum post when you send it. This way we can double check in our spam folders if it doesn't come through.

Actipro Software Support

OK I've just sentt this again to Support. Please confirm you have received it. Thanks.

[Modified at 09/30/2008 01:15 PM]
Got it, you were just missing this line:
dotNetProjectResolver.AddExternalReferenceForMSCorLib()
Since MSCorLib wasn't loaded, things like System.Object weren't defined. When I run your sample in the latest code here, everything from your comments is working as it should. We are hoping to get another update out soon but note that build 276 is available now.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for the quick reply. The code works now except for what appears to be a slight bug namely when you declare a variable with the New keyword the class members aren't being added to the member list. In my example project, members SubA and SubB aren't being added to member list of j but are added to member list of i, these both have type ClassA.
Hi Stephen,

Yes that's what I was saying, everything (including the list for j) is working on our latest code here. I think that particular issue may have been fixed in the currently official build 276 on our site. I believe you had an older build.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.