Custom highlighting (beginner!)

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 11 years ago by tristan hunting
Version: 4.0.0276
I would like to make var3 in the code sample below be given a custom highlighting style (green squiggly underline) that indicates it has not been declared.

[globalvariabledefinitions]
var1="adslkfjalkd"

[context]
set(var2="asfdsakj")
print(${systemdefinedvariable}+${var1}+${var2}+${var3})

As you can see there are a few different ways variables can be defined and also in built system variables.

I have the lexical analysis pretty much complete using a dynamic syntax language.

I am new to this control and finding it difficult to understand how everything fits together. A basic outline of how I should set about achieving the above would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Tristan,

I'm assuming that you have a compiler available for this language that will give you an error message that var3 is not yet defined?

If so, you can add a span indicator over the offset range for that text. Check out our Indicators QuickStart for a sample of how to add a wave line in any color.

Actipro Software Support

No compiler - it's an interpreted language with a very loosely defined syntax. I was hoping to avoid writing a full semantic parser - indeed with the syntax I am unsure if this would even be possible.

There is only one file that contains all the code so my plan was to loop through the token stream to build a list of defined variables and then loop again to custom highlight any VariableNameToken that are undefined. I am unsure where would be the correct place to put this code?
Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
If you don't have a compiler then as you said the two options are make a semantic grammar that builds an AST (the right way but potentially more work) or do token scanning. You can scan tokens in a PerformSemanticParse method override of your SyntaxLanguage class.

Actipro Software Support

Many thanks I'll consider writing a semantic parser - it's reasuring to know I am on the right track.
The latest build of this product (v2018.1 build 0342) was released 11 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.