Feature Request: Column Guides

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Having the ability to draw vertical guidelines to indicate column positions would be nice. For instance, you could draw a vertical line at column 80 to provide a visual guide that you may want to continue your code on the next line. This would also help with some of the old languages (like Fortran) where column positioning was significant to the function of the code.

Ideally, you could have a collection of one or more ColumnGuides that indicate the column index and drawing styles to use.

This is just a "nice to have" feature that I thought I'd bring up.

Comments (2)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Boyd,

Thanks for the suggestion. We do have a single column guide already on the TODO list. May I ask what other (more than one) column guides would be used for? I hadn't seen that in an editor and was curious.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
I can personally only think of a need for one column guide, but others might find more columns guides useful. I mentioned that this might apply to something like Fortran. It's been 10 years since I used Fortran in college, so I'm sure a lot of what I'm about to say may not be entirely accurate.

The way Fortran was laid out, each column in a line had a specific meaning. It all went back to the days of punch cards. Each line couldn't exceed 80 characters, and certain columns within the line were reserved for specific use. I think column 80 was reserved for some special characters like a line continuation indicator. I think the first 5 columns were reserved for line numbers. I seem to remember column 6 being reserved for comment indicators or something like that. So in this case, it would be beneficial to draw a column guide to separate each reserved area of the line.

One column guide would be great, but I thought it might also be beneficial to have more than one. If a language like Fortran could make use of it, maybe someone else could find a creative use as well. Someone, for instance, might want to insert a column guide to help line up in-line comments occuring after a statement as well as have another guide to indicate when a line is getting too long. Just ideas :-)
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.