What do you want to see next?

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Please rank the features you'd like to see implemented next. A good missing-feature list is in the main pinned post in this forum.

Please also rank documentation topics in there if that is important to you (if the samples don't give enough info on using the product).

Actipro Software Support

Comments (6)

Posted 15 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Here's my rank...
  1. Text stream navigation
  2. Outlining
  3. IntelliPrompt
  4. Semantic parsing
  5. Find/replace
  6. Outdent and several other edit actions
  7. Cancellable events for text changes
  8. Numerous other smaller features
  9. .NET Languages or Web Languages Add-ons
  10. Topic documentation
Some of the features like Outlining & IntelliPrompt aren't as beneficial without semantic parsing, but could still be useful for Dynamic Languages. It's hard to do much of anything fancy without Text stream navigation, so that's why I put it first.
Posted 15 years ago by Shane Macaulay
I've been enjoying the control also. My ranking would be;
  1. Text stream navigation
  2. .NET Languages or Web Languages Add-ons
  3. IntelliPrompt
  4. Find/replace
  5. Outlining
  6. Semantic parsing
  7. Cancellable events for text changes
  8. Outdent and several other edit actions
  9. Topic documentation
  10. Numerous other smaller features
Even though predominantly am planning to allow for users to interact with a pleasent UI for editing custom scripts and would instantly be able to implment a DLR/python shell... I know that any further customizations and would rely hevially on well architechted and implmented navigation, especially for features like highlighting script parsing erros and such.
Hi Shane,

Just FYI, "Text stream navigation" is already in the current alpha that you can download. You call editor.Document.CurrentSnapshot.GetReader to get an ITextSnapshotReader.

Completion list and quick info UI functionality is mostly complete and will be in the upcoming alpha build. We've been posting info about it in the blog.

[Modified at 02/14/2009 05:53 AM]

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Jon von Gillern
I'm really looking for the .net languages addon (C# to be specific). In addition, support for LINQ and lambda syntax is important.

My application is doing something fairly similar to LinqPad in terms of the UI (I'll be querying a different kind of data). I need the syntax editor help the user discover what properties exist of various collections of objects and construct a LINQ statement that fits their needs. I'll take the text from the syntax editor, insert it into some template class code and use the CSharpCodeProvider to compile it into an assembly then use reflection to execute the method that contains the linq statement.

I don't need the syntax editor to do anything custom.

Anything past that is gravy, although I am looking forward to outdent :)

I really like what I'm seeing so far, keep up the good work!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Lately we've been hammering on things like completing all TODO items in our codebase and finishing up the main set of commands (tabify, comment lines, etc.). I think outdent is the only main one left at this point other than some like code block selection expand or incremental search, which we don't have an infrastructure for yet.

Export to RTF and HTML, along with events for copy/paste etc. is also ready for the next alpha.

Before we can get into doing add-ons like in SE4, we first need to get fundamentals completed and get SyntaxEditor into beta mode. Then add things like outlining, indicators, and then we can port over some of the semantic parser functionality. Once all that is over, we'd likely implement the Web add-on first since it's much less complex than the .NET one. Then the .NET one would be last.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Yaakov Davis
My rank:

Outlining
Semantic parsing
Topic documentation
Built-in Compare
Find/replace
Outdent and several other edit actions
The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.