A couple Windows 7 Ribbon Title bar bugs

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Craig - Varigence, Inc.
Version: 9.1.0503
Platform: .NET 3.5
Environment: Windows 7 (32-bit)
So, I'm assuming these two issues are related to the Ribbon and/or RibbonWindow since I'm only seeing repros in apps where I use the Ribbon and RibbonWindow controls.

The first bug:

Steps:

1. Using Aero Snap to maximize the window by dragging the window to the top of the screen and then letting go so it's maximized.
2. Double click on the title bar.

Expected: The window is no longer maximized (as if I pressed the restore down button).
Actual: The window's title bar goes completely offscreen. The workaround is to double click the side of the window, which moves the entire window back on-screen.

The second bug:

Steps:

1. Maximize the window (via the maximize button)
2. Click and drag the title bar downwards.

Expected: The window is un-anchored from the top of the screen (it's essentially un-maximized and moves downwards).
Actual: Nothing happens.

Thanks very much,

-Craig

Comments (6)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Craig,

1) This one appears to be related to a known issue. There is a bug right now where I believe if you resize the window with glass enabled, then maximize it, then restore it, it will be offset by about the vertical height of the titlebar. Since WPF doesn't allow rendering in the window's non-client area, we have to do some Win API hacks to get it working but this is a side effect of those hacks. We are hoping to reimplement RibbonWindow soon and see if we can improve this.

2) I think we isolated why this isn't working. We'll make a TODO item to add support for it.

Thanks for the post!

Actipro Software Support

#2 is resolved for the next build.

Actipro Software Support

Are you referring to build 505 as "the next build"? I ask since I just tried 505 and I still repro'ed it.
Yes build 505 has new functionality in Windows 7 where when the RibbonWindow is maximized you can drag the title bar to restore and move it. I just tested it and it was working for me.

Actipro Software Support

So, with my application (which is using 505), it seems to work about 50% of the time. The other half of the time, nothing happens. I haven't been able to narrow down the difference when it works vs. when it doesn't.

I've noticed that it's far less likely to work when I start the drag from the very top of the title bar. It also seems to work and fail in streaks (like it'll work 5 times in a row and then not work 3 times in a row). Is there something special you're doing for capturing the click + drag motion? Maybe your detection algorithm is more sensitive than the one Windows uses so it's rejecting sloppier drags?
I think I found what could be causing the issue and have it resolved for the next release. It's probably occuring if you move the mouse really fast.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.