Layering Controls Over Syntax Editor

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Peter Waldschmidt - CEO, Gnoso Inc.
Version: 9.1.0507
I need to place controls (buttons, etc...) over top of the code in the syntax editor in addition to drawing over top of the code. I can see two ways to do this:

1. Get access to the raw canvas that the text is rendered on so I can add my controls.
2. Layer a canvas over top of the editor on which to put my controls.

The missing piece is that I need some way to track the scrollbars so that I can reposition my controls (or hide/show them) in response to the user scrolling through a document. I can't figure out an Event or override that gives me the needed information. Any suggestions??

Comments (3)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Peter,

You'll be very happy to know that these features are exactly what we're currently working on and should be the focus of the first 2009.2 release coming soon. What we've been doing is making an adornment layer framework so that you can create custom adornment layers in front of or behind text, selection, etc. and insert any kind of adornment UIElements you wish (such as your controls).

We just did a blog post about testing adornments with a smoke text effect. Check this out since it describes the adornment feature and shows a video of animated adornments:
http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post.aspx?id=da9b9548-fb09-4c7f-b915-9a09482317d9

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by Peter Waldschmidt - CEO, Gnoso Inc.
That's great news! Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, I need to move ahead with my development. I can't wait 2+ months for new software to be released. Is there any way in the meantime for me to get access to scroll events so that I can progress with development. Then once this slick new adornment feature is released, I can port the changes over to the supported method.
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Peter,

Each IEditorView raises a TextAreaLayout event when scrolling, etc. occurs. You can tap into that. View's also expose the text area bounds and several methods for transforming from view coords to text area coords.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.