Using Oslo Dataflow AddOn

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Craig - Varigence, Inc.
Version: 9.1.0507
I have a couple questions about the Oslo Add-On.

1. It sounds the add-on is already capable of syntax highlighting, returning syntax errors, and AST construction. Will the add-on enable me to perform auto-completion? Will it enable intellisense (quick info and parameter info)? I ask since there's a July blog post where Bill Henning says there aren't hooks for auto-complete although it seems like there should be sufficient info via the AST and token information. If these capabilities are present, do they still use the Oslo May CTP? If not, are there any instructions or suggestions on how to enable them? Use the standard editor auto-completion approach?

2. In the documentation example for creating an intellipad clone, you mentioned the UI being frozen and use the .NET 4.0 System.Threading library to help resolve it. Can you explain this issue in further detail? Instead of using a .NET 4.0 library, why not create an ambient parse request dispatcher? My concern is that I'm not ready to take a .NET 4.0 dependency so I need to know if I'll need to use the System.Threading library.

Thanks very much,

-Craig

Comments (1)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Craig,

1) The add-on does manage syntax highlighting, syntax errors, and AST construction. There is nothing built in to do IntelliPrompt since that is always language-specific and there isn't really a way for us to know what you'd want to show in your custom languages. That being said, our IntelliPrompt functionality is done the same way regardless of which language type you use (Oslo or other). All the samples and documentation related to completion lists apply. You just need to determine what to show in the completion lists when they are requested. This is where you can use the AST to enumerate members, etc. that are defined in your code, depending on your language.

2) We had originally written that topic before our parsing framework had been implemented. So yes, you probably could indeed harness our parsing framework to do similar things.

As a side note, the add-on still uses the CTP previous to the one that came out at PDC. The upcoming WPF Studio release will likely not change to the PDC framework yet either since there were breaking changes they made. However we hope to get it updated soon to the PDC framework.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 0 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.