Weird flashing on File / Application Button Menu on XP

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by SledgeHammer01
Version: 9.2.0514
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows XP (32-bit)
NOTE: Same issue exists with the compiled Sample Browser | Document Editor

Open Application Button | Open New Submenu | Click on New RTF document

You'll notice there is a weird flashing as the two menus are closing (intermitent, but frequent). It seems almost like the two menus are closing at different times and/or in the wrong order or re-opening or loosing z-order or something. Gives it a weird effect. Watch closely :).

Also, when I re-open the Application button after this effect occurs, the menu sometimes flashes once or twice.

EDIT: I think one of the issues is that commands are executed BEFORE the menus are closed. I.e. a command that pops up a dialog will show the dialog and THEN close the menu. Should probably close and clean up the menu visuals before executing the command.

[Modified at 03/04/2010 03:50 PM]

Comments (4)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi,

We tried to repro this on our Win7 .NET 4 machine but didn't see it happening. Where exactly are you clicking or typing?

We will look into trying to delay command raising.

Actipro Software Support

This is on XP (fully patched) and VS2010B2 / .NET 4 B2 w/ XP themes enabled. Obviously XP doesn't support glass.

I was clicking on File | New and kept alternating between clicking on RTF Document and Text Document (because I saw the flicker / flash in our app and was testing the demo to see if it had the same issue).
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Since you are running a beta of .NET 4.0, I'm curious if you still see it when you target .NET 3.5?

I haven't been able to repro it yet.

Actipro Software Support

The sample apps are targeted @ 3.5 right? I see it in the Word sample (3.5) (as shipped, I haven't recompiled it or anything) as well as my application (4.0). Maybe it just looks weird to me because commands are executing while the menu is still open, but there does seem to be some flashing going on.

**EDIT** I think I figured out whats going on...

Application Button | New opens up a submenu menu over the MRU area (as it should). When you execute either the New RTF Document or the New Text Document command, it closes the New sub menu and then it closes the Application Button menu in *two seperate* operations. Thats where the problem is because the command is also executing at a random point between those 2 operations.

So what you basically end up with is *3* operations happening in a random order and the result is a flashing appearence because when you execute the command in a submenu, you see the MRU list (or the menu) flash through while your command is being executed.

You'll notice the behavior in Office (as well as in regular OS menus), that when you execute a command in a sub menu, *ALL* menus are closed in an *ATOMIC* operation and then the command is executed.

So implementing the delayed command raising will only fix half the problem. The other half will be fixed if you close all menus at the same time :).
The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.