Adding Controls to SideBar Example

Wizard for WPF Forum

Posted 9 years ago by Harry Whitehouse
Version: 9.2.0515
Hi There!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the WPF coding model so here's another newbie question:

I have the Sample Browser project up -- it compiles fine and I've been tweaking some of the XML to observe the responses. In particular, when I have the MainControl.xaml for the Sidebar example in the designer, I try to drag over a control (e.g. a button or textbox) from the toolbar and nothing seems to happen. The design screen dims a bit when I release the control on the wizard page, but when the screen returns to normal I don't see the control.

I have another start-from-scratch project where the Wizard is placed on a default Window which is created when the project is initiated. On that project, I seem to be able to add controls at will to various wizard pages.

Obviously, I'm missing something basic here and I would be grateful if someone could steer me in the right direction.

Best

Harry

P.S. From the Sample Browser project, it appears that one might be able to create a wizard application WITHOUT an underlying main window. Is that true and what are the implications with or without the main window.

Comments (1)

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Harry,

The VS designer requires a Panel to be present to be able to drop controls. In that QuickStart we have a TextBlock as a direct child of the WizardPage. If you surround the TextBlock with a Grid, thereby having a Grid as the child of the WizardPage, then you can drag controls onto it.

For your second question, Wizard is just a WPF control. So it can be used on a Window (which it generally is the direct child of a Window) or can be used other places too. Just remember that the Window is what provides the title bar, etc. and is the top-level container for any WPF content.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2019.1 build 0681) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.