Posted 14 years ago by jeff Lundstrom - Sr Software Developer, TA Instruments
Version: 2.0.0109
Hello everyone,

In our application we have multiple document types (example: run, running, notrun) and we would like to show and hide the documents depending on the state of the application. Is this possible and can we do this without screwing up things like split views and the list of available document tabs? I have this working by hiding the parent tab strip like this:

foreach (DocumentWindow doc in dockManager1.DocumentWindows)
if(doctype != "run")
(doc.Parent as ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.TabStrip.TabStripPage).Active = false;

But this screws up a bunch of the DocManager functionality. Does anyone know if what we want to do is possible and if so, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Jeff Lundstrom

Comments (5)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Jeff,

The only way to hide/show tabs is to close the document window (assuming you have DisposeDocumentWindowsAfterClose = false) and then reactivate it later. With tool windows it should do a good job or restoring where it was. However for tabbed MDI, it may not go back to the same location. Tabbed MDI always restores to the active tabbed MDI container.

Perhaps you could use inner-fill tool windows instead?

Actipro Software Support

Perhaps, I am going to investigate this some more, I am not as worried about the tab appearing in the same order on the switch. I don't like closing the documents as that will force some major overhead when the user switches back and forth between document groups. I was thinking about putting the documents in a not visible tabbedMdiContainer than switching it to visible when the user changes groups. DO you know is it possible to create tabbedMdiContainers on the fly and dynamically add/remove the documents between the containers. I am not seeing any way to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Sorry but unfortunately all the code for managing tabbed MDI containers is internal, and is triggered by the public methods you'd call for opening/closing/moving document windows.

Actipro Software Support

That is what I had figured. Any hope for you guys adding this in the next release?

[Modified at 03/16/2010 03:01 PM]
Probably not at this time, we're a bit swamped with a lot of work on multiple products at the moment.

You may want to consider getting a Blueprint license. Then you can alter the source to achieve the functionality you need.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.