Waiting until typing has finished?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 14 years ago by David
Hi, it's hard for me to explain the functionality I'm after. I want to be able to do realtime error checking. So far it's great, and its just one function to check for my possible errors. I call this method in the KeyTyped event, and so it is called everytime a key is pressed.

Is their a way to prevent the function from firing until the user completely stops typing?

Like in Visual Studio, the editor wont highlighting errors until you completely stop typing and have a pause.

Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Thanks.

Comments (1)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi David,

That is usually achieved by having your error checking part of your semantic parsing process. Since with SyntaxEditor you can run the semantic parsing code in a separate worker thread, it concludes at some time after repeated changes like typing end. Then you handle the document's semantic parse data changed event and update your error UI.

Alternatively you could just use a timer and reset it when keys are typed. In the timer's tick event, update your error UI.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.