Official Ribbon Icons

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Tom P.
Version: 10.1.0520
I've just started using the Ribbon, and so far, I like it.

However, I'd like to implement some of that standard Tabs and Groups, but I have no clue where to get the "official" Office 2007 look icons. I can't seem to find them anywhere from Microsoft.

I realize Actipro has an Icon product, I was hoping to find a link to download Microsoft's offical icons. I couldn't even find them in their RibbonControlsLibrary.dll.

I mean, I just want to use the official Clipboard icon for Paste, etc.

Thanks,
Tom

Comments (4)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Tom,

Visual Studio ships with some icons in their Common7 folder as long as you installed them. They contain the "standard" versions of things like Paste and are free to use. Screen scraping icons used in Microsoft products isn't legal though. So for icons that aren't included in that free icon library that comes with Visual Studio, that's where something like our Actipro Icons product is very helpful.

Actipro Software Support

Aha, I had completely forgotten about those, thanks for the reminder!

I guess I could do the following with the 32x32x32 BMP files to turn them into PNG.

i.e. VS2008ImageLibrary\VS2008ImageLibrary\PasteHH.bmp

into

Paste16.png
Paste32.png

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the SampleBrowser\Resources\Images were based off of those? If so, could I snag those license free?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Some are and some were pulled from other apps but we just use them for samples. You shouldn't use any of our sample browser's icons in your own application.

Instead you should always pull images from the VS Image Library or another package like Actipro Icons where you know you have properly licensed images.

Actipro Software Support

Fair enough. Thanks for the super speedy and helpful response as always.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.