ApplicationButton with ControlTemplate

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 9 years ago by Jim Strav
Version: 10.1.0520
I want to completely replace the ApplicationButton but keep it's functionality. When I use a ControlTemplate with a vector graphic in it, the ApplicationButton does not work anymore.

Here is the XAML. I do not get the click event in code behind nor does it pop up an ApplicationMenu (not shown here). The ApplicationMenu I am using does work when I remove the ControlTemplate.

<ribbon:ApplicationButton x:Name="AppButton" 
                                  HorizontalAlignment="Left"
                                  VerticalAlignment="Top"                                  
                                  Click="AppButton_Click_3">
            <ribbon:ApplicationButton.Template>
                <ControlTemplate TargetType="Button">
                    <Path Data="M0,0 L18,24 36,0z" Stroke="Black" Fill="Black" />
                </ControlTemplate>
            </ribbon:ApplicationButton.Template>
        </ribbon:ApplicationButton>
So this works for a regular button (I get the click event in code behind):

<Button x:Name="AppButton" 
    HorizontalAlignment="Left"
    VerticalAlignment="Top"                                  
    Click="AppButton_Click_1">
    <Button.Template>
        <ControlTemplate TargetType="Button">
            <Path Data="M0,0 L18,24 36,0z" Stroke="Black" Fill="Black" />
        </ControlTemplate>
    </Button.Template>
</Button>
FYI...
I also tried using a regular shared:PopupButton which does work with a ControlTemplate, but then the ApplicationMenu doesn't behavior correctly. For example, once you hover over a ribbon:SplitButton (like Save As), you then have to explicitly click back on a different menu to get back to the Recent Documents. Normally, just hovering back over something else returned you to Recent Documents.

Comments (1)

Posted 9 years ago by Jim Strav
I found a workaround. I am using a ToggleButton to trigger the ApplicationButton's IsPopupOpen property. The ToggleButton uses the ControlTemplate to show my graphic and I sized the ApplicationButton to 1x1 pixels and hid it behind the ToggleButton.

By the way, I am not using the Ribbon bar, just elements from the ribbon namespace. In this case, a stand-alone ApplicationButton that hosts my application's Office-like menu.
The latest build of this product (v2019.1 build 0683) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.