Posted 9 years ago by SledgeHammer01
Version: 10.1.0523
Platform: Silverlight Controls
Environment: Windows XP (32-bit)
We tried to run the installer on a developers machine where he had a rather long username (like 20 chars) and got an error "blah is not a valid short filename". To work around this, we created a "Test" user account, but it seems you are using the username to get a short filename somewhere and it fails when the username is > 8 chars.

Comments (2)

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
My own user name that gets auto-entered is roughly 20 chars with spaces and periods and I've never run into issues. I don't believe we even use the user name other than writing it out to the registry. Perhaps something internal to WiX uses it.

I would suggest that your developer remove any special characters in the user name. Maybe that will work around it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 9 years ago by SledgeHammer01
No special chars or spaces. This was on XP SP3. We worked around it by creating a dummy account with a short name and running the installer under that account. Just thought I would report the issue :).
The latest build of this product (v2018.1 build 0675) was released 13 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.