Posted 14 years ago by SledgeHammer01
Version: 10.1.0523
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows XP (32-bit)
We tried to run the installer on a developers machine where he had a rather long username (like 20 chars) and got an error "blah is not a valid short filename". To work around this, we created a "Test" user account, but it seems you are using the username to get a short filename somewhere and it fails when the username is > 8 chars.

Comments (2)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
My own user name that gets auto-entered is roughly 20 chars with spaces and periods and I've never run into issues. I don't believe we even use the user name other than writing it out to the registry. Perhaps something internal to WiX uses it.

I would suggest that your developer remove any special characters in the user name. Maybe that will work around it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by SledgeHammer01
No special chars or spaces. This was on XP SP3. We worked around it by creating a dummy account with a short name and running the installer under that account. Just thought I would report the issue :).
The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.