RecentDocumentMenu has gotten slow

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Nate Smith - Software Engineer, Logical Progression Group
Version: 10.2.0532
I have a very simple ApplicationMenu using the RecentDocumentMenu. There is nothing special about the XAML:

<ribbon:ApplicationMenu.AdditionalContent>
    <ribbon:RecentDocumentMenu Manager="{Binding RecentDocumentManager}"/>
</ribbon:ApplicationMenu.AdditionalContent>
My RecentDocumentManager property is on a simple view model and everything functions exactly as expected. The only problem is, when I first run the application, the ApplicationMenu opens instantly upon being clicked. The MRU items are listed and clicking them to open works fine. However, the second time I click the ApplicationMenu it takes roughly 5 seconds for the menu to appear! I have capped it to 10 items in my MRU list. It seems to be linear increase in time based on the number of items - roughly 1/2 second per item. (Again, except the first time you open the menu it opens instantly) Otherwise, it is functionally fine.

When I remove the binding or make it invalid, the menu opens quickly. If I comment out the code to populate the list and have an empty RecentDocumentManager, the menu opens quickly.

I don't recalll this problem being there until recently but I couldn't swear that it is new to this release. So... any ideas on what is causing this crazy slowness?

Comments (3)

Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Nate,

We haven't heard of any issues like that and can't think of any recent changes that would cause it. I would first recommend that you try to repro it in a new simple project.

If you can, then also try to profile it (with an app like dotTrace) to make sure it's our code causing the slowness. If it is, then email us the ZIP of your simple project with repro instructions so we can see what is happening. Please rename your .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 13 years ago by Nate Smith - Software Engineer, Logical Progression Group
Interesting development. I put together the simplest of examples (simple RibbonWindow + Ribbon + MRU) and it was still slow if any items were on the MRU. I wanted to test it on other machines so I copied my Debug directory to the nextwork and ran it from there... what?? It was not slow. Perplexed, I simply clicked the EXE locally to test and it was fast too! It seems it is only slow if a debugger is attached.

To verify, I double-clicked the EXE in my Debug folder, confirmed that it was fast, attached a debugger, it was slow, detached the debugger, and it was fast again on the same running instance of the test app.

So in the end, it will not be an issue for our customers, however, it's quite annoying when developing to wait 5+ seconds every time you click the menu/ApplicationButton.
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Nate,

We haven't seen slowdowns here like that but we might be populating it in a different way than you. I really can't imagine what would cause slowdowns like what you are describing since the whole thing is very simple. At least it is only during debugging, but still, it is very odd.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.