Merge Menus

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Simon Sprott
Version: 10.2.0533
Is there a way to merge items into the ribbon control kind of like the way you can with standard menus (Merge Menus).

Basically we have an visual studio like app and we want the ribbon to change depending on the active document or active toolwindow.

Thanks Simon

Comments (3)

Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Simon,

Unfortunately you'd probably need to programmatically swap in and out controls right now. Or perhaps have different tabs that you show/hide based on what window is active.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 13 years ago by Simon Sprott
Having read the Ribbon recomendations, merging menus looks like something I shouldn't be doing anyhow.

From what I gather the ribbon should contain all your commands, and not remove them based on context (so ribbon stays consistent all the time). Contextual stuff goes into contextual tabs.

Groups
Displaying Groups
3. Controls displayed in a group MUST NOT change as a result of selection. If a control is not active, then the control MUST be grayed out, rather than removed from the group.

So I need to have a think about which way to go; menus or ribbon.
I found these links that have been pretty useful.

Is a ribbon right for your app
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc872782.aspx#rightui

Overview of app types and prefered menu/ribbon/toolbar choice
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc872780.aspx
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
That is certainly true. The contents of tabs should remain constant. You can enable/disable controls as appropriate, or swap in and out contextual tabs. But the goal of the ribbon is to keep everything visible and in the same general location with only variants changing the layout.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 21 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.