VB Expression Editor for Rehosted WF 4 Designer?

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Matthias Hess
Version: 11.1.0541
Hello

We are currently building an application which needs to rehost Microsofts Workflow Foundation 4.0 Designer. Unfortunately, when rehosting the designer, you loose the intellisense capability of the VB Expression editor. Having used Actipro SyntaxEditor in the past, I was thinking that we could use this control to implement this feature.

I am sure that any application that rehosts the WF designer needs intellisense. Especially becuse we have C# devs who are not familiar with that VB Syntax.

Is there an easy way to get this done?

Kind Regards
Mat

Comments (10)

Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Mat,

It sounds like you'd want our .NET Languages Add-on for WPF. Please note that we just got phase one of it done and out, which is capable of doing expression parsing, and reporting syntax errors within the expression.

Automated IntelliPrompt is not yet implemented, but we have started work on the framework features that are necessary to support that. We will be working on that in the coming months to get it to a point where C# and VB have automated IntelliPrompt.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 13 years ago by John Darlington
So do you think its feasible to use the Syntax Editor in a single text line only mode purely to get the Intelliprompt. I've just downloaded the eval to check it out.
Hi John,

Thanks for evaluating SyntaxEditor but as mentioned above, automated IntelliPrompt is not functional yet for the add-on. We're currently working on the many pieces that are needed to end up supporting it.

Also, single line edit mode is still on the TODO list. It's one of the top items on our TODO list for once we get automated IntelliPrompt done for the .NET Languages Add-on.

So you may want to postpone your evaluation for now.

Actipro Software Support

But you still have Intelli-prompt for VB.Net.. its not automatic but its better than a straight TextBox which Microsoft is currently offering ... Its definately possible to replace the WPF Workflow Editors with alternate controls ... so I would have thought the Syntax Editor would be able to operate as the replacement ? It could be restricted in size to limit to a single line ?
Our WinForms SyntaxEditor has single-line edit mode and VB automated IntelliPrompt. The WPF and Silverlight SyntaxEditors don't have either just yet, but as mentioned, they are being worked on. Perhaps you're thinking of the WinForms SyntaxEditor?

Single line edit mode also involves making sure the end user can't enter or paste any line terminators into the control. So it's not quite as simple as just sizing the control to a single line height.

Actipro Software Support

Hope you don't mind me continuing this discussion on this thread.

As a temporary solution until you guys release the Single Line Mode and Automatic Intelliprompt for the WPF Syntax Editor, I am hosting the Wind Forms Version in a Popup. Its not beautiful but it will get us over the line in the mean time.

I am posting a question about how this works in the Winforms Syntax Editor forum.

Thanks for your advise on this.
Hope you don't mind me continuing this discussion on this thread.

As a temporary solution until you guys release the Single Line Mode and Automatic Intelliprompt for the WPF Syntax Editor, I am hosting the Wind Forms Version in a Popup. Its not beautiful but it will get us over the line in the mean time.

I am posting a question about how this works in the Winforms Syntax Editor forum.

Thanks for your advise on this.
Posted 11 years ago by David Joyce

Hi Gents,

Stumbled across this thread when looking for an easy way to enable Intellisense in a rehosted designer. Do you now provide a component which will deliver this functionality? It would save us a lot of effort doing this from first principles.

Cheers

DJ 

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi David,

Yes, SyntaxEditor with its optional .NET Languages Add-on provides automated IntelliPrompt features for C# and VB and can be used anywhere .NET controls can be used.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by David Joyce

The pre-sales team at Actipro have provided a Tips and Tricks article to show how this is done.

Thanks guys!

http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post/2013/08/26/Enhancing-the-Windows-Workflow-Designer.aspx 

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.