Use statusbar, but not in RibbonWindow.StatusBar property

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway
Version: 10.2.0533
Hi

For our application, we would like to have a few notifications such as when a contact on your messenger list logs on, or sends you a message. These notifications originate from the statusbar, and appear when the mouse cursor is over a control, or an event occurs.

The thing is that we do not wish is to be a Popup control. I would very much like to declare the statusbar at the bottom of a grid, but not in the RibbonWindow.StatusBar property. The "popups" or notifications should appear over the workspace.

We have declared the view for our statusbar inside of a usercontrol (in this case, one deriving from Statusbar). If we then place the notifications at the bottom of the grid in the main view, I am unable to bind between the notification and the originating control to show the information on mouseover of the control.

I have been thinking about using AdornerLayer or some such, but then I would still have issues with binding to the mouseover control. Another approach is attached behavior and trying to link the control with the notification. But since the two different controls would be in different files, the complexity of understanding the code would be high.

Placing the StatusView at the bottom of the grid, and not in the StatusBar property of the window, the statusbar does not get the correct style (should be possible to work around). It would then also cover some of the content of the workspace/docksite.

I suppose a workaround would be to place the statusview and the notifications in mainview, because I could then bind to the notifications. However, then the main file would grow quite large, and be difficult to maintain.

Any suggestions on how to implement this functionality? I assume someone must have had to implement this kind of functionality.

[Modified at 04/11/2011 10:38 AM]

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Comments (1)

Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Bjørnar,

Sorry but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the bindings not working. I wouldn't think it would matter if the StatusBar is in the RibbonWindow itself or in a Grid on the Window in that regard.

AdornerLayers would work fine (as long as you don't have interop content) in terms of showing above your workspace, and are a good way to go if you don't want to use Popups. Either that or add another Grid container above your other Grid and display your notification controls in that by aligning them to the bottom and using margins to offset them to where the statusbar panel is. That approach might be a little more involved though.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.