How can I perform text formatting with a ReadOnly document?

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Craig - Varigence, Inc.
Version: 11.1.0545
I have a syntax editor where I want to format the displayed text but not have it be user-editable. When I try use the ITextFormatter service to format the document's text, nothing happens when the document's IsReadOnly property is set to true. Is there a way I can perform formats but prevent users from editing the text?

Thanks,

-Craig

Comments (3)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Craig,

I would think that formatting should work as long as your formatting code's text change isn't doing a read-only check.

If you think there is a problem, please e-mail us a new simple sample project that shows the issue so we can debug. Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Craig - Varigence, Inc.
You can repro this using the HTML Editor (Web Lang Add-On) sample in the Actipro Sample Browser. In the sample's MainControl.xaml file, set the SyntaxEditor's EditorDocument's IsReadOnly property to true:

<docking:Workspace>
    <editor:SyntaxEditor 
            x:Name="syntaxEditor" 
            DocumentParseDataChanged="OnSyntaxEditorDocumentParseDataChanged" 
            UserInterfaceUpdate="OnSyntaxEditorUserInterfaceUpdate"
            ViewSearch="OnEditorViewSearch"
            ViewSelectionChanged="OnSyntaxEditorViewSelectionChanged"
            >
            <editor:EditorDocument xml:space="preserve" IsReadOnly="true">
When you run the sample and press the Format Document button, you'll see that the text isn't formatted.

-Craig
Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the repro steps. It happens there because our XmlTextFormatter does have the read-only check in its options:
var options = new TextChangeOptions() {
    RetainSelection = true,
    CheckReadOnly = true,
    OffsetDelta = TextChangeOffsetDelta.SequentialOnly
};
For the next version, we're going to disable the format commands when they will perform on a read-only document (for toolbar buttons). With that update and with the current code, if you are using our XML formatter, you'd probably have to set the document read-only state to false, then call the format programmatically and directly via the service, and set read-only back to true.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.