Is SyntaxEditor for WinForms dead?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Alexnaldo Santos
Version: 4.0.0289
Hi,

Many necessary features for SyntaxEditor WinForms does not appears on any release for years.

Only WPF, WPF, WPF...

Lambda, Anonymous type and many .NET 2.0 features.

IMHO you must to say "...we only works for WPF version"..

I have the SyntaxEditor v4. since 2009.

Comments (3)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
We wanted to get into more advanced IntelliPrompt features for the .NET Languages Add-on (such as those you mentioned) and that did involve some very major redesigns of the entire add-on's internals. The redesign we've been working on is in the WPF/Silverlight versions of SyntaxEditor and the .NET Languages Add-on. Key new core pieces of the control itself on those platforms, combined with a new add-on written from scratch to fully adhere to C#/VB specs, have allowed us to implement those things and remain fully extensible for future features like LINQ IntelliPrompt as well.

As for the WinForms SyntaxEditor, it has been mature and stable for a while. To do much more with it, we do need a number of the design improvements we've done when making the WPF/Silverlight version. Our plan for the WinForms SyntaxEditor is to get an updated version out in the next couple months that aligns it and the other WinForms products more like our WPF/Silverlight products, distributed and licensed together, with support for client profile and VS 2010 projects.

Once the WPF/Silverlight versions have all the feature areas covered that are in WinForms now (they are still missing some), we hope to port the newer design there back to WinForms so that all three platforms can enjoy the feature areas we add at the same time.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Alexnaldo Santos
I understood.

I can't migrate to WPF version because I don't know exactly missing features in WPF version. I think that you can create a grid to show all missing features on WPF version.
Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
At the current time, the main missing feature areas are these...

Syntaxditor control:
Virtual space
Current line highlighting
Syntax-highlighted tips when hovering over collapsed outlining nodes (is black text now)
Indentation guides
Content dividers
Column guides
Bracket highlighting
Indicators
ScrollBar visibility settings
Auto-correct
Code snippets
Smart tags
FontDropDownList control

.NET Languages Add-on:
Type/member dropdown list
Display in code outline TreeView
Smart indent

We are continuing to knock out these items as we progress through development. Some of the missing items for the SyntaxEditor control can already be manually implemented via tagging and adornments.

The WPF/Silverlight versions should have most everything else found in WinForms, but also have a large number of features that aren't found in the WinForms version (tagging, snapshots, adornments, etc.).

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.