A newbie asking for help: Customising Spider

Spider Writer Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 23 years ago by Paul Christiaan - Netherlands
Hello list,
I'm a newbie- to your list as well as Spider Writer. You seem like a friendly bunch, perhaps you can help me?

I recently moved writing HTML from the Mac to the PC. On the Mac, I used BBedit, so I'm really spoiled. But, truth to tell, this Spider Writer is ABSOLUTELY luxurious.
--Oh yes. I don't work in design mode-it really messes things up-; but I very much like the fast updating of the external Netscape. Neat that!

Ok, what are those questions I need so badly answered:
1) How do I edit the "Edit Tag"list?- there are a few tags there that don't seem right to me- take for instance the IMG tag: while in the syntax.dat "width" is stated as to be written out as " "- it writes the thing out as a plain number. There are a few older browsers that don't like that. I wrote a simple code snippet that puts the number within quotes, but that makes for extra work- plus the thing gets changed back all the time.
There are other matters, like the "TD" tags, which are not right ("middle" should become "center",etc.etc.- to be as universal as possible). Please help!
2) How do I assign a hotkey to code snippets?

If I can work the two above, I am very happy with the program- otherwise I'll have to go back to the Mac for my editing- means working two keyboards at the same time and an AWFUL strain on the elbows, let me tell you :-)

Hope you gentlemen can help me!!

Many thanks in advance, Paul Christiaan

Comments (3)

Posted 23 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Paul,

1) You can use the Syntax Editor application to modify how Spider Writer interprets tags, attributes and almost everything else. Check that out. It's in your programs group for Spider Writer.

2) Right now, we don't have support for hotkeys for code snippets. That's something that could be added in the future though.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 23 years ago by Paul Christiaan - Netherlands
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I found the Syntax Editor, but I must have overseen something. What I tried to do, was
a) forcing the program to insert an empty ALT tag in images where none was specified (I had checked that option in the preferences, but that doesn't seem to work)
b) forcing the program to put almost every number, having to do with tables. within quotes.
It should do that: in your dats these numbers are indeed stated has living between quotes. However, the program simply refuses to do it.

But these are small things. Over all, it's a fine program to work with, even though it has some quirks (the spell checker acts somewhat strangely, I find). After a short time of working with it, it speeds things up tremendously though. So, you can count me in as far as the buying department goes!

Also highly appreciated is your responsiveness to your users.

Regards,

Paul Christiaan
Posted 23 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Paul,

We'll look forward to having you as a customer.

A) When you click the IMG tag button, you can have it automatically insert a blank ALT attribute by going to the IMG tag in the Syntax Editor. Under default attributes, add ALT="". This will work when you just insert a new blank tag.

B) To make attributes use quotes, go to the attributes in the Syntax Editor and change their input style from Number to Text.

That should work for you!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v5.2.0) was released 23 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.