Posted 23 years ago by John Mycroft - Auckland, New Zealand
I can't get frames creation to work in 5.01. Using the wizard, it asks me to type in the names of the pages I want in each frame (why can't I get the file names from the pulldown?)
Then when I go into web view of my framed page, it tells me that none of the frames can be found.
For example, I call the top frame "top" and specify a source file of "topframe.htm" . The html says "SRC="topframe.htm"" but the web view can't find it.

Comments (6)

Posted 23 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Right, you need to create those HTML pages that you specify. You can just create stub template pages before you run the wizard and point to those.

Actipro Software Support

Hi - I've already created a swag of HTML pages. In fact, I've created a project from my exisiting directory of 70 web pages. So all my frame pages do exist in the directory I've defined for the project. I still can't see any of thepages in the web view and the pulldown I get for the frame page names shows only the names fo the pages that I have previously typed into that pulldown rather than all the HTML pages in my project's directory.
Make sure that you save your frameset page in the same directory as your frame pages BEFORE you try to use Web View. Otherwise, the browser won't know where to look for the relative path URLs to the frame pages.

Actipro Software Support

Got it, thanks - I just noticed that the default file extension is "html" and I was typing in "htm". It still seems strange that I have to type in the page name rather than grab it off a menu but I'll live. Saving the file before viewing it worked fine.
One last question - is there any way to change the properties of my top and side frames (I want them a fixed number of pixels high / wide rather than a %age). Any way I can do this other than changing the HTML? I intend to use the same top frame on every page of my project and would like not to have to need to change the HTML in every frameset (my project will have 50+ framesets).
Cheers - John
PS - I wish I got such responsive tech support for products I've actually paid for - thanks !!
Sorry guys - your tech support is very responsive but I find your software too hard to work with. I don't want to have to write native HTML and pressing F4 or F9 doesn't open up an attribute dialog. I hate having totype in page names rather than pull them off a menu and saving a template frameset did me no good as I was never given the chance to use it.
When I did get attributes to work, it told me what the Target attribute was for but then told me it was an unknown tag and didn't give me a pulldown list to choose from.
To cap it all, I twice got Error 5 Invalid procedure call (the last time was when I tried to select a GIF to change its attributes) SW 5.01.0599, Windows 98, IE 5.50.4522.

Cheers - John
Right now in the Frame Wizard you can only specify percentages. Then you can specify absolute lengths when the HTML is created.

Using the Attributes sidebar and also opening tag dialogs for tags generally does allow you to pick files from a dialog if you like.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v5.2.0) was released 23 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.