Themed Floating ToolWindows / New Group Option

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
I'd like to see the ability to create something like the Task Pane in Office 2003. To do this, two features would need to be implemented:

1) Themed appearance on floating ToolWindows
2) Grouping by the Drop-Down list instead of the Tabs

When you float the Task Pane in Office 2003, it has the same themed appearance it had when it was docked. Also, it appears that the Task Pane is basically a collection of ToolWindows. Instead of having a separate tab for each ToolWindow, there is a drop-down in the caption that lets you select which ToolWindow you want.

It appears you can't do the drop-down in the caption without making the floating themes work, so I bunched these together.

Any chance this is on the TODO list?

Comments (3)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
It isn't on the list right now but I'll add it. For this option we'd probably have to make it an all-or-nothing sort of feature meaning that all the grouped tool windows are either in tab mode or in task pane mode. Is that ok?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Do you mean all ToolWindows in the application would have to behave this way or just all the ToolWindows attached to each other.

For instance, I'd want to be able to have a group of ToolWindows with tab-based switching, and another group with drop-down style switching. There's no drag-drop functionality for ToolWindows inside a drop-down style group, so these would all have to be set programmatically. The drop-down style group should be able to float and dock, but not attach to a tab-based group or become an MDI document.
Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
After chatting with you on this, I think the task pane is actually part of the bar system and we'll have to implement it that way once our bar controls are available.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 3 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.