Using SyntaxEdit as Xml editor (with schema)?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by THONA
Hello,

is there any sample code for using SyntaxEdit as XML editor with a schema? You know, where you do not only have syntax highlighting for the XML part, but also support things like intellisense et al based on a schema, so that the user has more help to create "proper" XML files.

Comments (12)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Yes, that is an excellent suggestion. It currently highlights XML but we do have plans to try and make the 4.0 version work by reading an XSD schema to populate member lists.

Actipro Software Support

Is there any way to get this behavior with a relatively recent version( 2.0, 2.5, 3.0)? With some things to get someone started?

It basically was dumped on my feet today as a requirement.
You should be able to do that sort of thing if you write a semantic parser that examines the tokens that are created by the lexical parser.

What you described though is exactly what we plan on implementing in the future.

Actipro Software Support

Do you have a timeframe?

I have a CMS here that basically is supposed to get XML data field capabilities with a Schema :-)
Well first thing is to get 3.0 launched. That will be very soon.

Then we'll begin work on 4.0 but not sure of a timeframe yet. We want to support better parsing for other languages like C# as well.

Actipro Software Support

Not good enough for this :-)

Do you know any XML editor on the market? Anything goes for this - this is more a "getit out of the door, then make it really great in version 2", and version 2 is a year away.

My main problem is the now, without writing a schema parser myself :-)
Sorry don't know of any.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Ashton - Developer, Schema Solutions LLC
We use XML Spy for some of our items. XML Spy also has a decent XSL debugger. For straight XSL debugging, I actual prefer Xselerator from MarrowSoft. Great for stepping through XSL transformations.

If all you want is XML editing with intellisense based off of an XSD, Visual Studio 2003 will do this. When I edit the language files for SyntaxEditor in VS2003, it gives me intellisense for the document because of the schema located in the directory.

SyntaxEditor is basically a building block for custom apps but it sounds like you are wanting an app such as SPY or some other product.
None of these can be inte´grated into your own application and redistributed, right?

What I need is a component. Something to put into our program.
Posted 19 years ago by byperman - Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
I developed a working XMLeditor using SyntaxEditor in about a month in a project for learning C#, so it's not impossible ;)
Posted 17 years ago by Immo Landwerth
Quote:
we do have plans to try and make the 4.0 version work by reading an XSD schema to populate member lists.

Are there any news to this topic?

We would love to edit XML and having member completion for the XSD schema.
Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Immo,

Sorry but not yet. We have a couple of projects going on right now and the VB.NET language for the .NET Languages Add-on is our top language priority. After that we'll probably get back on the XML add-on.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.