Possible to save document state?

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Steve Weller
I have just started developing with UIStudio.
The application I am working on is based around a few MDI document windows (which are constant rather than being file system documents) surrounded by tool windows. I would like to be able to save the entire layout, rather than just the tool windows - is this possible? The application needs to always present the same "documents" in the same layout every time the user logs on.

Regards,

Steve.

Comments (9)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
How would you like to see the implementation work, like what if there are already documents loaded? What happens to those if they have the document layout split up already?

I imagine you could initialize the documents in the WindowInitializing event, right?

Actipro Software Support

I'm not familiar enough with UIStudio to know how things work with ToolWindows in relation to your question... i.e. if 10 toolwindows are open and I load a layout with 7 toolwindows do they just replace the others?
I guess I want it to work like saving a solution in Visual Studio. When I reopen a solution in devstudio all the documents (and layout) are restored. Having just tried this, if documents are open it seems to make a "best guess" at matching the previous layout/split.
Would be quite happy if this was available as a separate property on the DockManager e.g at startup for my app I could set ToolWindowLayoutData and, say, DocumentWindowLayoutData in same fashion.

If it helps to understand the issue, "documents" in the application are really special windows that can only appear in the tabbed MDI area. They do not correspond to the file system and there can be only one window of each type (like say 5 possible windows and 1-5 of them visible).

[Modified at 06/30/2005 07:49 AM]
Ok, we'll add it to the TODO list and will give it a shot.

Actipro Software Support

That's great. Is this likely to make the next maintenance release? If so, is one planned anytime soon?
We are planning on a maintenance release relatively soon since we already have several small bug fixes in place. It hasn't been decided whether that will be a maintenance release update or not. We'll have to see how much work it will be.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Frank Preiss - Siemens AG
Has this feature been added meanwhile?
If not how do I accomplish this task?
Right now I am saving the layout of document windows, but I am not able restore them correctly. With the predecessor of UIStudio (I think it was called DockableWindows) it was possible to rearrange document windows. But I don't know who to do it with UIStudio.
Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Frank,

No, there are issues to consider such as what if there are documents already open or how do we tell you what to open, what if a document cannot be opened, etc. that we never got into a discussion with our customers on to give us more direction.

If you email/post to us some of the code you were using before, perhaps we can tell you if there is something similar in UIStudio. UIStudio should be able to do pretty much anything DockableWindow did and more.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Frank Preiss - Siemens AG
Don't mind. In the meantime I have reimplemented the behavior it had with DockableWindow and it works now. Besides this I still think the ability to reload documents would be a great feature.
Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
If you have any ideas on how to handle some of those design issues that were mentioned, please email them over. Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.