Posted 20 years ago by Jeff Easton
I have an XML file that is about 1.5 megs. I am not even using a language file, and the file still takes a good 7 seconds to load.
Then when I type it's extreamly slow in displaying the text.

Is there something that I should be doing to speed this up?

Thanks
Jeff Easton

Comments (3)

Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Keep in mind that even though no language is set, technically there is still a Plain Text language loaded which scans the characters in the text to lexically parse them. Then the display lines have to update whenever you make changes so huge files like that can be very cumbersome to edit.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 20 years ago by vanderke - Bolivar, MO
Hello,
I have just installed the trial version of the Syntax Editor, and I have also found the speed to be a bit slow on large files. For instance, I have a 5 Meg Xml file that I need to be able to edit, and the control seems to be a bit sluggish. On my computer (P-III, 1 Ghz), it takes about 75 seconds to load, and about 5 seconds for the cursor to move around when I click to a different spot. When I type, it then takes about 5-7 seconds for the letter to appear. All I am really looking for is a way to color-code my XML as it is typed. Are there any ways I can optimize your product to make it run any faster? Thanks for your help!

---
Keith VanderVeen
Duck Creek Technologies

Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
We will try to develop some more optimizations however by nature of the type of control, it always will be somewhat slow when editing code since there are a lot of things being calculated, especially on a large file that's over a meg. Lexical parsing has to scan character by character. You can increase the lexical parsing phase's speed a little by making your language definitions simpler though. For instance, use less states and patterns.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.