Possible Bug: Navigation Bar Pane & VS2003 Toolbar

Bars for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Chris Gilbert
I'm working on a prototype with VS2003 and think I've discovered a bug (or I am just doing something wrong). I've added a standard toolbar to the main form, but I've also added a toolbar within a couple of navigation bar panels.

When I set the toolbar's appearance to NORMAL:
1) The icons appear on my main toolbar are visible; the icons on the nav. bar toolbars do not appear.
2) The appearance of all toolbars appear as expected.

When I set the toolbar's appearance to FLAT:
1) The icons appear on my main toolbar are visible; the icons on the nav. bar toolbars do not appear.
2) The appearance of the main toolbar is normal; the appearance of the nav. bar toolbars is transparent (if I have a manifest file in the Debug folder, it is black)

Any thoughts?

Comments (3)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Can you email us a test project that shows this? Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Chris Gilbert
It's on its way.
Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
I think this is a bug with how Microsoft did XP themes. There is a well-documented issue when using themed Checkboxes and a couple other themed controls on controls with complicated backgrounds. In those situations sometimes the background of the Checkbox won't render or refresh correctly. And for whatever reason, even though Checkboxes would demonstrate this issue, radio buttons would not.

Anyhow, I believe that when a ToolBar is set to have a "flat" appearance, it's doing something similar since it's showing the same symptoms.

Unfortunately we'll have to work around the problem in one of two ways:
1) Use the normal ToolBar style, or
2) Place the "flat" ToolBar in another simple parent control like a Panel.

I tried #2 and it seemed to work ok that way.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.