Swtiching back to application only shows floating window

Bars for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Alex Prentl
Hi,

Steps to reproduce:

1. Run the 'TestApplication' C# demo and select 'Dock Controls'.
2. Take the docked 'Welcome to UIStudio' window and make it floating and make sure it has focus.
3. Using the taskbar switch to another application.
4. Now using the taskbar switch back to the 'TestApplication'. On our systems (WinXP pro, .net v1.1.4322 and UIStudio 1.5.0037) only the floating window appears and the main form is still hidden behind the previously selected application.

This is a bit of a wierd one as it doesn't always happen! But usually it does after switching between the test application and other one a few times. Sometimes resizing or moving the floating window before switching applications helps!

Just wondering if this a UIStudio problem or a general .net problem.

Thanks,

Alex.

Comments (4)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Alex,

I believe it's a general WinForms bug. The reason is that tool windows are simply Forms with their owner Form being the Form that contains the HostContainerControl. We don't have any special handling for handling when Form activation occurs so it's all the Windows backend stuff kicking in there.

We've noticed other bugs in the Form class. Sometimes when you close a child dialog Form, it flips the application behind any other windows that may be open (like Windows Explorer). That's a real annoying one.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Alex Prentl
Hi,

I thought that might be the case. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Alex.
Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Quote:
We've noticed other bugs in the Form class. Sometimes when you close a child dialog Form, it flips the application behind any other windows that may be open (like Windows Explorer). That's a real annoying one.

That's an issue I've been experiencing with a custom File Select dialog. Did you ever hear of any way to resolve this problem? I've had to call 'BringToFront' on my main application every time I close that form.

I know this isn't related to UIStudio, but thought I'd pick your brains on this one :)
Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah that's more or less what we've had to do to get around that issue as well in application development.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.