Posted 18 years ago by JohnH
Setting ButtonFlatStyle to System causes screen flicker; setting ButtonFlatStyle to Standard eliminates the flicker. However, the ButtonFlatStyle is what I want, as this causes the desired XP visual style to be applied.

I'm using a custom XP skin renderer via Skybound's Freestyle product.

Note: Setting ControlStyles (ex., SetStyle(ControlStyles.AllPaintingInWmPaint, true) ) in the form's constructor doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate the flicker when moving from page to page?

Comments (7)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi John,

We don't see any flicker when using Wizard and we also have ButtonFlatStyle set to System. It must be something with that third-party product you're using. Unfortunately I'm not sure how their product operates so you might have better luck asking them what could cause the flicker.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by JohnH
The issue had to do with transparent backgrounds on custom pages. In any case, I have since found a good alternative solution so that, as you mentioned, there is no screen flicker and I have access to full product funtionality. BTW: Wizard is a fine product, as is UIStudio, which I also own.

Thanks for prompt reply - Good support!
JohnH
Great John... glad you got it!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Alexander Zherdev
Hi guys, well, my screen flickers. I am using:
- Visual Studio 2005 VB Express
- Wizard 3.0
- Windows controls, not 3rd party

All my screens flicker, and that is regardless of whether or not my button style is flat, standard, or system. Some elements (labels) have transparent colors, some do not. I am using a 2 color gradient for the background of the welcome pages. Please help.

- Alexander Zherdev

Hi Alexander,

I'm not seeing any flicker whatsoever in our sample project. Can you tell me how to duplicate it in our sample project and if you can't, can you send over a small project that does show the issue? Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Alexander Zherdev
Hi, for other reasons, I had to move away from .NET 2.0 and get back to .NET 1.1. In 1.1, this does not happen, in 2.0 it flickers. I don't have a sample project on me right now but basically all it was, was a form that was Appliation Framework enabled. It had 5 welcome pages and had controls (such as labels) with transparent background. Everytime you switched from one page to another using the next or back button, the areas that had controls (labels, textboxes, etc) would be black for about 1/2 a second and then redraw. This would cause a very noticeable flicker in areas of controls.

I appologize for not having a sample project at this time. But again, 1.1 does not do this, 2.0 does. I have the following system:

Windows XP SP2
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro with the latest ATi Catalyst drivers
.NET 1.1, .NET 2.0
Visual Studio 2003 Architect and Visual Studio 2005 Express

If you need more information please email me. If this comes up more often with other customers, I will be happy to help you test the control.

- Alexander Zherdev

Hi Alexander,

I'm not sure what could be causing that. I have been playing with our sample app in .NET 2.0 and it doesn't flicker for me at all. Anyhow if you are able to duplicate it in a small sample project (or even better, in our sample project), send us over an email. Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.