Location of Intellisense popup

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by troy tarrant
Hi,

I've had a play with the component but (even in the sample application) the intellisense popup doesn't locate itself in the right place. The help on the IntelliPromptMemberList.Show(int offset, int length) does not explain very well what these parameters do. Is there some sample code that pops the Intellisense window in a 'nice' location relative to the caret ? instead of nowhere near it ?

Thanks

Troy

Comments (5)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Troy,

I'm not aware of any issues with it displaying in the wrong location. It should be right under the caret typically, exactly like VS.NET does. If it's not appearing there for you then perhaps you are using the wrong parameters? Try it in the sample project and let us know if it works correctly when you type "System." in there.

Ordinarily you would just use the Show() that has no parameters and that shows the list under the caret. The overload is for when you are displaying a list for some text that has already been entered, which is what the offset range specifies.

Actipro Software Support

Hi,

I've done some more on this and this is very interesting. I've installed the demo at work and it works fine. The positioning of the intellisense prompt is correct, one line below the current carat, as you would expect. When I do this at home it is positioned about three lines below the carat - I can send a screen shot if you want.

My home machine : Win2K - running a Dell 24" monitor at 1920x1600
My work machine : WinXP - running a Phillips monitor at 1280x1024

Not sure if the resolution has got anything to do with it but I remember seeing another post relating to something else that was talking about resolution affecting drawing, or whether its something else like the Operating System etc.

Thanks

Troy
I wouldn't think that resolution or O/S would cause anything like this. However something like taskbar locations or multiple monitor setups might. Do you do anything out of the ordinary at home, like putting your taskbar at the top of the screen or do you have some other "bar" that is docked on the Windows workspace?

Actipro Software Support

Yes you are correct. If you have a windows task bar at the top of your screen and you have Always on Top ticked and Auto Hide un-ticked then you get the intellisense prompt shifted down the screen the width of the task bar.

Thanks for your help. Is there something you can do to fix this in a future release ?

Troy
Thanks Troy... good catch. It seems that PointToScreen is relative to the taskbar (if the taskbar is above or to the left) but DesktopLocation is absolute. Ugh... frustrating quirk about the .NET framework. Anyhow we have this fixed for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.