Flickering on Autohide

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Chris Schuld - Owner / Senior Developer, Aztec Software
To Whom It May Concern:

I have a program with several tool windows. A few of these tool windows contain controls that are packed with listboxes, picture boxes and one of them has a control with a background image. When the “busy” tool windows autohide they flicker pretty bad – bad enough bad I am starting to get customer complaints. Any ideas on how I can prevent the flicker of the autohiding windows? I’ll even accept a few “hack” ideas at this point :-)

I tried to understand how DoubleBuffer works but came up empty handed – I figured I’d save some frustration and ask! (I noted a few discussions about the flicker but did not see a finalized answer for v2)

Thanks in advance,
Chris Schuld

Comments (5)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Chris,

Do you mean our tool windows are flickering or the child controls are, such as a ListBox? If you email us, maybe you can tell us how to duplicate it in our sample project and we can see what we can do to help.

Another thing you could try is adjusting the DockManager.AutoHideHideSteps and AutoHideShowSteps properties. Those alter how fast a tool window shows/hides. So setting them to 0 will make them show/hide instantly, etc.

Actipro Software Support

Hi,

The flickering is on the child controls. What it appears to be is a few calls to repaint the child controls (about three times) and then the tool window begins to slide back.

I have adjusted the AutoHideHideSteps and AutoHideShowSteps to 3 just to speed up the process but she still flickers.

Example Idea:

If you take a panel and put a background image on the panel (make the panel about Size(500,500) for a good demo). Next, drop in a few list boxes and put some data in them. With those control examples in the tool window you "should" see a good example of the flickering.

Also, my controls are housed in dynamic layout panels -- therefore if you resize the tool window the controls will resize... I wonder if this is a layout issue with the child controls/panels. Is there any messages/events I should catch to suspend the layout before it slides back into autohide? (I am throwing everything at the wall in hopes something sticks ;-) )

Thanks,
Chris
I did a number of tests and still don't really see a bad flicker, even with a Panel with a background image and a ListBox of items. I even attached to the Paint and Resize events of the Panel (which was docked) and it didn't fire more than 2-3 times for each show/hide operation even though there were many more auto-hide steps (I increased them to be more than 10).

What UIStudio version are you running?

Actipro Software Support

Hi,

I am using Version 2.0.0060, using Shared 1.0.0076. I hope that is current.

I am becoming more and more confident that the flickering is coming from the layout managers which are in panels on my tool window. Are there any messages/events that fire when the autohide kicks in or when the autohide is going to expand out? If so when I capture these messages I'll suspend the layout in hopes of stopping the flickering??

Just a thought...

Thanks,
Chris
There are AutoHideToolWindowDisplaying and AutoHideToolWindowHiding events but nothing that fires immediately after the transition is complete. I can add that to the TODO list.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.