Fixed ToolWindow sizes?

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by John Mancine
Perhaps this defeats the purpose of the ToolWindows to a certain degree but is it possible to limit the size of a ToolWindow? I have a VCR-like (play/stop/etc.) control which I would like to be able to stack and such as a ToolWindow but it doesn't lend itself to be stretched. Is it possible to have a ToolWindow with a fixed size?

Setting the MinimumSize of the toolwindow doesn't seem to do anything.

I can always just make this a dialog but it would have been nice to have everything going through the same pipeline. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Comments (4)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi John,

Another customer had requested this sort of thing and we put it on our TODO list. We have to look into whether fixed sizes would cause issues when making the parent really small (since it would then shrink the tool windows). But if we did do it, I would think that all tool windows would have to have fixed size mode on. Essentially we would disable splitters. I don't know if it's possible to just have one tool window be fixed. The reason is that for nested hierarchies that could get really rough to check for that sort of thing. Also, if you attach the fixed tool window to another tool window that was wider than the fixed ones, you'd be breaking your intended fixed size for that tool window. Know what I mean?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by John Mancine
Yeah, the more I thought about this I can see there would be lots of issues. It seems like for it to work it would have to be an entirely different type of ToolWindow. So for example, a "FixedToolWindow" which can have a minimum size and can only float. Allowing these windows to be 'sticky' with other FixedToolWindow's would be nice as well. For a perfect example of what I'm talking about, see Photoshop and all of the tool windows in that program.

It would still be nice to be able to have both types, but simply limit the interaction between the two. Right now I am doing a custom solution so that I can have fixed tool windows which are 'sticky' and then I use actipro for the normal, more elaborate tool windows.

Keep up the great work guys!
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Thanks for the suggestion John... I'll add it to the TODO list.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Just wanted to let you know that the next maintenance release will have some really great new features which will allow for functionality just like Photoshop tool windows.

The new features are the ability to set a fixed size to a tool window in a "Floating" state. Also magnetism features have been implemented that will snap undocked tool windows together at corners and if that fails, along their edges.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.