V4 Changes - Should I Wait?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Michael Trier
I'm looking into possibly using your SyntaxEditor for a project, but it looks like the changes to v4 are going to be massive and welcomed. The question is, about how far out are you on this new version? I know you can't give specifics, but are we talking 1 month, 3 months 6+ months? Also, it sounds like the changes are massive, dramatically affecting the way the product is used and implemented. If this is the case, would I be better off holding off at this point? I don't want to have to rewrite a ton of code in 2 months.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Michael,

We're hoping to get it out in a two month or so timeframe. The impact will depend on which features you are using. For instance, span indicators have been revamped for v4.0. However a lot of the rest of the features should still work similarly to how they do now. We have had to rename some methods to help clarify and rectify them with some other new features.

Now, languages are also going to change a little. But it's more in their implementation, so the XML language definitions will probably still load fine. However you will be able to alternatively create language classes with custom parsers that you write via code. That allows you to get a major speed increase over the XML language definitions. But again, that's optional. You can keep doing it with the XML language definitions if you'd like.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Michael Trier
Thanks so much for the reply. The information is really helpful. I'll likely move forward now and adjust when the new version comes out. Thanks again.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.