VS 2005 Background fill

Wizard for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by barrett
Get the following when changing background color

"Error 1 'SolidColorBackgroundFill' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ActiproSoftware.Drawing'.

running latest version

Comments (9)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
It sounds like you have two Shared assemblies referenced. Are you sure you completely uninstalled an old version before putting on a new one?

Actipro Software Support

nope. brand new install. also have UISudio installed--latest version. next step?
If you have an older maintenance release then that might have an older Shared too. Update to the latest maintenance release of UIStudio. If you are a customer you can get it from your Organization Purchases page. That should resolve it.

Actipro Software Support

have the latest version--downloaded at same time. Next step? What else can I provide you, as I need to close this out
The only way I can think of that this is happening is that you do have two versions of the Shared library loaded in your project. Check your GAC (C:\Windows\Assembly folder) to see if there is more than one listed there. Also which version is listed?

What happens when you open our sample project in the designer? Are you able to use that background fill there without it causing the designer error?

Actipro Software Support

ActiproSoftware.Shared.Net20 1.0.81.0
ActiproSoftware.Shared 1.0.76.0

works fine in sample project
If you no longer need that 1.0.76 build then I'd highly recommend removing it from your system. Based on what you said, I believe that the VS designer is somehow loading both versions and getting confused.

So either you have a reference to both versions in your project or another rare situation is occuring which I've seen before. This other situation is where a VS project somehow "caches" a reference to an old version of an assembly. So even though you have updated the reference to a newer version, the project is still pulling in the old one.

The easiest solution is to remove the old build 76 from the GAC. Then it should no longer be found. Or if this project "caching" thing is happening and you don't want to remove build 76 then you can recreate your project file and re-add all your classes into the new project file.

Actipro Software Support

Playing around---if i just have the Wizard control in my project--all works well. If I add the Navigation Bar to the same project, it puts the 1.0.76 reference in my project and my Wizard control starts having the same problem described above. If I Delete the 1.0.76 reference from my Project, the Navigation Bar will no longer work. In your sample for the Navigation Bar, you reference the 1.0.76 control. If I add your Wizard control to your Navigation Bar example project, it blows up. So, can you not use both the Wizard and Navigation Controls within the same project?
You must not have the newest UIStudio on then. Because if you did, it would be using the same ActiproSoftware.Shared.Net20 assembly as Wizard does. It would NOT be using the old 1.0.0076 build. All our latest releases use the same Shared/WinUICore libraries to ensure compatibility and all are now using Shared/WinUICore 1.0.0081.

Like I said, you need to remove the old UIStudio you must have on your machine. Also, reset your Visual Studio toolbox since maybe when you are dropping controls off of that, it is pulling in the old UIStudio version's controls instead of the newer ones (if you did install the new UIStudio maintenance release).

If you have everything upgraded properly to the latest maintenance releases you should be on these versions at this point in time:

UIStudio - 2.0.0071
Wizard - 3.0.0121
Shared/WinUICore - 1.0.0081

If you see anything other than those after upgrading to the latest free maintenance releases, then remove those old versions.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.