DockManager.ToolWindowActivated/Closed ??

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Keith Hill
It seems that the ToolWindow layout file mechanism prefer that you always create your ToolWindows whether they are currently activated or not. I'm OK with but some ToolWindows can potentially put enough of a drain on your system that I would like to know when the ToolWindow has been activated and/or made visible so that I can tell the tool window to start doing its thing. Same goes for ToolWindow being closed or made not visible. If it is doing "graphical" work it might as well stop what it is doing if no one can see it.

I see the WindowActivated/Closed events on DockManager and find mindself longing for the equivalent for ToolWindows. Is there another way to be notified of this type of transition? If not, please consider those events for the next release.

Comments (2)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Keith,

Actually WindowActivated, WindowClosed, and all the other WindowXXX events fire for both document and tool windows.

Additionally, check out the WindowInitializing event because that one fires before the first time the tool window is displayed in the user interface. So you can lazy load using that event.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Keith Hill
Thanks. I'll try that out.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.